Dell readies new Studio XPS notebooks with Optimus

Jos

Staff

Dell is reportedly getting ready to update its XPS series with a trio of notebooks featuring Intel’s latest processors and Nvidia graphics. According to Logicbuy, which appears to have obtained some official press photos, the new Studio XPS systems feature a brushed aluminum casing, HD WLED displays, a HM57 (Calpella) motherboard, Core i3/i5/i7 processor options, a DVD or Blu-ray drive, support for up to 16GB of RAM, a Skype-certified 720p webcam, JBL designed and certified speakers, a 9-in-1 card reader, and support for Nvidia’s Optimus graphics switching tech.

As their names imply the XPS 14, 15 and 17 have screen sizes of 14 inches, 15.6 inches and 17.3 inches, respectively. Besides screen size, the new Dell notebooks also differ in RAM and storage capacity, as well as graphics options and a few other features -- XPS 14 buyers get access to a GeForce GT 420M 1GB or 425M 2GB, while the XPS 15 features a GeForce GT 435M 2GB, and the Studio XPS 17 either a GeForce GT 435M 1GB or GTS 445M 3GB.

The laptops also feature a USB 2.0/eSATA combo port with PowerShare, and USB 3.0 on the XPS 15 and 17 models. Pricing details as well as a specific launch date have yet to be revealed, though we imagine that can’t be too far away.

Permalink to story.

"or GTS 445M 3GB."

As far as Google will tell me, there isn't even a 3GB GTX 480, what makes nvidia - or the partner who makes these M chips think that a much lower powered mGPU is going to need that much VGA RAM?

lol

Just launched, OEM only. A card of these specs will never need 3 gigs of ram but it's a good/desperate marketing ploy to fool customers who just don't know any better. A 1gig 5870 mobile will eat this alive, but 3 is more than 1 to the consumer, isn't it ? ;)

Back