Dell Streak coming to US in July for $500 unlocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

During the D8 conference, Dell finally disclosed the US pricing for its pint-sized Streak 5 tablet. The details come only a few days after the company finally revealed the 5-incher's specifications. The Streak 5 will grace US soil in July for $500 – a bit pricier than you might have expected.

For what it's worth, that's unsubsidized pricing. In the UK, O2 will be handing the Streak 5 out free of charge when folks sign up for a data plan. It seems plausible to expect a similarly discounted offering in the US, but there aren't any official details on that just yet.

Five Franklins gets you an oversized smartphone – or undersized tablet – that packs a 1GHz Snapdragon processor, Wi-Fi, 3G and Bluetooth connectivity, 2GB of internal storage that's expandable to 32GB via Micro SD, both front and back-mounted cameras, and a removable battery.

At launch, the Streak will be running Android 1.6 (Donut), but will be updated to Android 2.2 (Froyo) later this year. Other features include Google Maps with turn-by-turn navigation, and numerous bundled social apps for services including Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.

Permalink to story.

Bet the price comes down by fall/winter, THEN I'll pick one up.
Let the early adopters work out the bugs & the high new price.

Wow $500 pretty steep though. I would have to see it in action before I would pay that type of money. ExoPC Slate would be a runner up to this model.

Drop the cameras, 3g and phone features and we would probably have a reasonably priced pocketpc/tablet. Hopefully they realize this and release a striped down version that is just for wifi web browsing and media playback.

$500 for a internet tablet with a phone on it?
Sounds cheap to me compare that to Ipad pricing and is a bargain.

Here is something I can't figure out. Apple and the likes being the spotlight for being "good" corporate citizens. But really, when the profits roll in and stocks go up - hurray! They toast to higher volumes the next quarter and move on... but what does this really mean to the economy (US enconomy to be specific)?. Wall Street is cheering. But not middle class America.

Why does it still say, "Made In China" on their products? If the volumes are high enough, why can't manufacturing be in the US? We're already running manufacturing for foreign electrical goods (i.e. Haier) in the US; even our cars from foreign countries are being built here. So why can't it happen to our high-tech consumer devices? Coz big fat corporations usually sit in Silicon Valley and think the rest of country is also high cost?

The success of these companies only benefit a few in US. Foxconn on the other hand runs manufacturing in China, and has local suppliers benefitting from it. Thus China's middle class is expanding. What about the US?

What's happening to consumer tech and our economy?

With standard Dell marketing, it is likely this Dell Streak will eventually be made available in at least seven models... with changes every four months as has been the Dell pattern... Then if ti catches on, the models and the pricing with be creative.
With all the components made in China and the standard countries, the tax structure in Texas, and the unions in the "free world" the time is not right for Dell to make competitive models in the US.

Almost all smartphones these days cost around $500-600 (unsubsidized). Look at the Nexus One, Droid Incredible, etc... All hover around $500 unless you sign a contract with a carrier. That usually brings the price down to $200 or less.

Dell had this in their pocket since last year and are only now releasing it. Too late to the game as usual Dell. You'll always be a follower :-/

But the Sprint team is just held together with bubble gum... there are way too many places where Sprint reception is not up to speed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back