Dell Studio XPS 7100 for mid-range gaming?

Considering purchasing for moderate gaming, multi-tasking, streaming and downloading video for $750 out the door from dell. Is this a good system?

Internal Performance Components:
Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X6 1045T + ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB
Memory: 6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMS
Hard Drive: 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Video Card: AMD Phenom™ II X6 1045T + ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB
Optical Drive: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive (Your computer will only play BluRay if it is specifically listed here)
Wireless: Dell 1525 Wireless-N PCIe Card
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

Unless you plan to game at 1024x768, it's very weak on the GPU side; what do you usually play?. Consider stepping down to a quad-core CPU or even a triple/dual-core one, and upping the video card to at least an HD 5770. Also, is the Dell wireless card necessary? You can probably get one on your own for cheaper.

Lastly, IMHO 4GB of RAM is good enough for what you want to do.

It's a low-end card but still should serve you well depending on what games & resolution you play. I say it should handle most newer games at 1280x1024 or 1440x900 give or take with some setting tweaking. If you play on something like 1680x1050+ you will likely need to tone down graphics considerably on more modern games to achieve smooth gameplay.

Other then that I second Rages recommendations, if you can step down a bit on the CPU/RAM side try and get a better video card. Maybe even build your own PC if you're up to it as that will get you the best possible deal.

ati hd 5770

I am glad I posted here for advice. I tried to purchase the system last night, having cancelled the order after being approved for financing, then suddenly un-approved for financing. I mentioned at the outset that I was not interested in the financing at 29% and would be paying by credit card anyway. Being a dell preferred customer seems to be a bit overrated.

I am going to back off the processor/chip and get the hd 5770 instead of the 5670, with a min of 4g ram.

Back