Dell unveils revamped Pine Trail-based Mini 10 netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

In perfect coordination with Intel's announcement earlier today, Dell and other PC makers have introduced their new Pine Trail-based systems. Like many forthcoming netbooks, Dell's revamped Mini 10 sports a 1.66GHz Atom N450 processor, and can accommodate a six-cell battery for up to nine and a half hours of use.

It is also configurable with a standard 1024x600 or HD 1366x768 display, a Broadcom Crystal video accelerator for HD playback, up to 1GB of DDR2 800MHz RAM, a 160GB or 250GB HDD, Bluetooth, 802.11 b/g, GPS, a TV tuner, and Windows XP, 7 Starter or Ubuntu for an operating system.

The Dell Mini 10 looks very similar to rival products, including Asus' recently spotted Eee PC 1005P/PE, and MSI's updated Wind netbooks. Most pending devices should arrive over the next couple of weeks, with Dell and MSI's products expected to launch on January 4 at starting prices of $299 and $350 respectively.

Permalink to story.

Wasn't Dell's CEO saying a couple months ago that netbooks weren't to be relied on?

i dont understand netbooks... the size is about the same in size (14" +/-), under performs most of them (dual core or celeron core 2), and price difference isnt much. not to mention, these things are not reliable and too small for normal people.

you may wonder where i'm referencing. recently (last month) i got a celeron dual core (T3000) 14" notebook for $349 from frys. very similarly priced as this and outperforms it without a question. how much can 10" be more convenient to use than 14"?

I like the number of options on the Dell (though I wonder how much they'll add to cost). It's nice to see a higher res display for a 10" netbook (frankly, that for me was the main drawback to them), and HDTV and GPS are nice additions.

pomonasi, I guess you're using your notebook in one location. When you travel around and carry a notebook with you, you'll immediately notice how much easier to carry a smaller one is, as it's both lighter and easier to fit in a bag. They usually also have significantly better battery life than large notebooks at the same price, which again is important if you're lugging them around, instead of using them at home or at work.

I see a lot of comments from people who don't "get" netbooks, and it's fine. If they're not for don't buy them. But you should recognise that a lot of people do find that they represent a useful form factor.

Indeed, the other factor is that netbooks are harder to spot since you can carry them on a bag or on the normal day to day backpack, making them somewhat more "secure".

Mainly and first is the light weight and the reduced size, maybe some don't fall for a small screen while others do.

And finally the battery life as ET3D said, instead of a 3 hour run you get 9, not that much of an explanation.

Also, I'm trying to go for a dualcore nettop (N330) just for the energy savings :p

Kibaruk said:
Also, I'm trying to go for a dualcore nettop (N330) just for the energy savings :p

Energy savings is nice, but very overrated for most computers. You are going to save what maybe $5 a year at most. At what cost? Just drive your car one trip less and you will already have saved more then $5. If you really care about reducing energy usage make a list of the most expensive energy consuming things you do a month and go down the list from top to bottom (driving, heating, hot water usage, etc. . ) you will find computers to be just about the dead botton on the list. So untill you work off those it isn't much use spending any additional money/opportunity cost to try to reduce energy usage on the bottom. My two cents worth anyway.

Compdata, lets say that not just Kibaruk switched to save, but 10% of New York did as well. That becomes a savings of $10,000,000 for that group of people, for the energy company, and the Planet. While it's a small savings to one person it's a significant win elsewhere.

Sure - you can save elsewhere. Especially in light bulbs and appliances. But we all have to play some part in this. The population isn't shrinking and we all want electricity.

On on the bright side, Kibaruk is happier with a netbook that is easier to take around with them and lasts longer on battery than a full-sized notebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back