Dell Vostro 1500, Graphics upgradable?

By don101
Mar 18, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi there,
    this is pretty much my first time to post on any forum so dont expect it to be a perfect post.:)
    The story is, i aquired a dell vostro 1500, and the only graphics device in it is Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family...
    I was just wondering, since id like to be able to play games above 40 fps on lowest graphics, is it possible to put anything dedicated into it? and how easy/costly/etc is it?

cheers in advance.
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

VGA components on laptop are almost never upgradeable I'm afraid. There's very little you can other than lowering the games' resolutions & visual effects.
  3. don101

don101 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Ok, thanks for replying.
    when i googled it, i saw pages about upgrading from something like a 8400gt to a 8600gts. However these laptops had com with a graphics card in it originally. Is that the difference?
  4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I think at best you can order the laptop with a faster VGA part assembled in it but once purchased I don't think you have the option to upgrade it.
  5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,731   +156

The graphics chip is on the motherboard, it is NOT a replaceable card. To upgrade the video you would have to change the laptops motherboard. You would never change a laptops motherboard for this reason
  6. don101

Ok, thanks all anyways.
  7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

you have integrated graphics like 98% of most laptops. Graphics are NOT upgradable.
  8. tehksupport

tehksupport Newcomer, in training

Yes

I found this post at random and this may be a bit late but the graphics card on the vostro 1500 is in fact upgradeable, there is a Nvidia 8600M GT available. It has a inverse MMX style slot that the graphics card and its heat sink attaches too. Hope that helps
  9. lamo

lamo Newcomer, in training Posts: 570

10. don101

thanks but..

too late for me now! laptops is going back within a month so it doesnt matter any more! thanks anyway all!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.