Dell Vostro 1500 GSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I've got a Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook that has the infamous GSOD. I've been reading on this forum and google for the past 3 days about getting rid of it. First, is the 1500 another name for a more popular Dell laptop? I don't see much information about them.

Anyway, I called Dell and they agreed to give me the master password after verifying that it wasn't stolen. After putting my on hold for about 5 minutes, the tech said they could not generate a new password for this model. He said I could remove the CMOS battery to reset it. I had already done this. Instead of going from the POST screen to the GSOD instantly, I could see a message about RTC being corrected. I would think this means the BIOS got reset.

The next thing the Dell tech told me was that there was a jumper to clear the password next to the CMOS battery (this is under the RAM cover). I could not find any jumper. I found out later today that Vostro is also a name used for some desktops, so I'm thinking that maybe he had the wrong service manual out?

Now the laptop is not in my possession and I've been trying to find some higher resolution pics of the mainboard to see if there is this jumper somewhere. I can't seem to find it....

Has anyone ever heard of Dell saying they CANNOT create a new password for this model? I thought that all -595B security was the same. Since I don't have the laptop currently, I cannot try shorting (or even finding) the NVRAM chip.

The person who own's this laptop says he was playing poker online and it locked up and then wouldn't boot. If you hit pause quick enough after the Dell POST screen you can see an error message about a configuration error, please run setup. After that its the GSOD.

At this point I'm more interested in finding out if Dell was just lying to me about the reset jumper and not being able to regenerate the password.

Thanks
WJ

They may know something they cannot tell you and that is why they cannot generate a password.
Mail it in. It should still be under warranty?

Warrenty has expired. The people that own this laptop are convinved its a conspiracy, as the GSOD appeared almost to the day when the warrenty expired. I think its just a coinincidence. As for the list of laptops with 595B security, there are no Vostro's on any list I've seen. Does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks

595B are usually refurbished, or business group machines.

Dell rarely helps with password problems over the phone... Talk to somebody at Dell USA, then mail it in... It will cost you $100, but you get your laptop back working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back