Dell Vostro 3400 produces sporadic static in all sound

Hello,
I've had this Dell Vostro 3400 with windows 7 for 13 months, and for all that time it was absolutely fine. In the past week though, whenever I have any audio output, it will produce a surge of static once every minute or so (sometimes its clear for an hour, and others its on and off every 5 seconds for a minute). Then it goes away and the audio sounds perfectly normal. It's not the speakers, because it the problem is the same with headphones, the built in speakers and external speakers.

I did some research on the topic, and bad grounding was listed as a possibility, but the problem persists when I unplug it. I did get a replacement power adapter (same specs but not by dell) a few weeks before this problem started.

I've tried just restarting.

Looking at sound in the control panel, it says headphones/speakers are selected, and there's a greyed out option of nvidia e550vl-1 which is apparently disconnected. I've never checked here before so I don't know if that's what it's supposed to be.

So, I'm thinking it's hardware or interference from peripherals or other programs?
Any thoughts on what it might be? Is there a way I can get a log for the soundcard that I could post up here too?

Thank you all !

The nvidia e550vl-1 is an external LCD monitor. Did you ever have one connected to this laptop? I would say that the static is caused by a loose internal cable or connector

Back