TechSpot

Dell Vostro 3400 produces sporadic static in all sound

By xael821
Sep 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello,
    I've had this Dell Vostro 3400 with windows 7 for 13 months, and for all that time it was absolutely fine. In the past week though, whenever I have any audio output, it will produce a surge of static once every minute or so (sometimes its clear for an hour, and others its on and off every 5 seconds for a minute). Then it goes away and the audio sounds perfectly normal. It's not the speakers, because it the problem is the same with headphones, the built in speakers and external speakers.

I did some research on the topic, and bad grounding was listed as a possibility, but the problem persists when I unplug it. I did get a replacement power adapter (same specs but not by dell) a few weeks before this problem started.

I've tried just restarting.

Looking at sound in the control panel, it says headphones/speakers are selected, and there's a greyed out option of nvidia e550vl-1 which is apparently disconnected. I've never checked here before so I don't know if that's what it's supposed to be.

So, I'm thinking it's hardware or interference from peripherals or other programs?
    Any thoughts on what it might be? Is there a way I can get a log for the soundcard that I could post up here too?

Thank you all !

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,944   +167

The nvidia e550vl-1 is an external LCD monitor. Did you ever have one connected to this laptop? I would say that the static is caused by a loose internal cable or connector

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.