TechSpot

Dell wireless adapter problem

By mossian
May 28, 2010
  1. I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 running Windows 7. Wireless adaptor is an intel Pro 3945ABG

The wireless adapter keeps switching itself off. This happens regularly - every 10 minutes - and I have to troubleshoot to reset the wireless adaptor.

I have disabled the power setting that allows the computer to switch wireless off to save power and I have (I think) reinstalled the right drivers.

The inspiron used to have a reset wireless switch on the left hand side, but this broke off almost immediately. Could it have worked itself into a problematic position and be causing the problem or is it another issue?

Grateful for any help.

2. Punkid

Punkid TS Guru Posts: 421

please properly uninstall the drivers and then install them again... also try to connect another device to the wireless network and see if that disconnects, could be a router issue too

3. mossian

mossian TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks. I've uninstalled and re-installed drivers. Other devices working fine with the router, still dropping the connection every minute now. Every time I have to reset the wireless adapter through troubleshooting.

Any other tips on what it might be?

4. Punkid

hmm thats strage, after resetting it should all be working fine if there was a problem with the configuration....did this problem start happening after installing windows 7?

5. mossian

Installed Windows 7 as a beta last year and full version a couple of months ago. Problem only just started about a week ago. Nothing installed that should have sparked it off.Very curious.

6. Punkid

i am not sure, but to me looks like a faulty adapter, wait for someone else to reply and help you out...sorry

7. mossian

Many thanks. It's been fine for 15 minutes now - so there is some strange intermittent fault. Might be a plan to take it apart and blow off the dust ...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.