TechSpot

Dell XPS 18 all-in-one doubles as Windows 8 tablet for home roamers

By Jos
Mar 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. With the arrival of Windows 8 we've seen a number of manufacturers pushing out hybrid designs that combine the portability of a tablet with the full-featured experience of a laptop. But more recently a new category appears to be emerging,...

Read more

2. dotVezz

dotVezz TS Enthusiast Posts: 111

Am I the only one who things these specs are extremely anemic? 32GB SSD and a dual-core Pentium for $900?

Good lord, does it really cost that much to make an 18" touchscreen?

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

I could be wrong about this, but I believe a Pentium 2117U would be far faster than any ARM based tablet processor. It's only a small step down from a Core i3. And it has a 320 GB and a 32 GB SSD for storage. I don't think it's supposed to be some great ultra fast gaming/compute machine, but I'll bet those specs are plenty fast enough for a pleasant navigation/web/email experience.

It's the same price as a Surface pro with a far bigger screen.

4. dotVezz

dotVezz TS Enthusiast Posts: 111

I don't mean to belittle the Pentium line, a lot can be said for it. But the Core i5 3317U in the Surface Pro is a solid 50+% more powerful than the Pentium 2117U here. They're both ULW models, so they compare pretty cleanly in that respect. (More info, specific numbers at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php)

With $900, I kind of expect something a bit more "premium" than this. I kinda wish they'd just give us a 64GB SSD (So we can actually install some programs on it, leave the HDD for media) and an i5 for that price. Even make it $100 more and I feel like it'd be a better value for me.

Of course, I can't represent the market as a whole - I have no idea what other people think. I just think this is too watered-down. =(

misor likes this.
  5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

This is kinda pathetic as said above

6. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

erratum?
    me and a sibling like the dell xps 18 aio model shown here. (but not at the current price range)