Dell XPS 410 CPU/RAM Upgrade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 410 currently equipped with a Core 2 Duo 1.86 GHz CPU. I want to upgrade it to either a:

HU585 Kentsfield Quad Core Q6600, 2.40G, 8MB, 1066FSB, B30

or

MP626 Kentsfield Quad Core Q6600, 2.40G, 8MB, 1066FSB, G0

My question is this: will I also have to upgrade the RAM when I upgrade the processor?

Currently I have 4x512MB (2 GB Total) of 240-pin DIMM DDR2 PC2-5300 installed. Will this ram continue to function after the CPU upgrade, or will I need faster RAM?

Specifically, I was wondering if this RAM would work in my system after I upgrade the CPU:

4x1GB (4 GB Total) - 240-pin DIMM DDR2 PC2-8500 • CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-1066 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64

Any help with this question is greatly appreciated! :)

Yes, you would need to upgrade the memory as well.
It would not be a wise move to upgrade the Dell. It will benefit from another power supply if you change the board and memory.
Also, your Dell software and Windows will not work on the new board, and the install on your hard drive will detect that the motherboard has changed, and windows will assume you are making an illegal copy, and shut down to a dark screen.
There is upgrade room on the Dell board. Change the memory, and the video graphics and everything changes.

I don't mind re-installing Windows if need be. I ordered a power supply after some research (I guess Dell makes it difficult to upgrade these), the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W should work in my system (confirmed by Dell & other forum sites).

As far as video cards go, I ordered a Nvidia GTX 260.

Just stumped about this RAM/CPU issue.

Will DDR PC2-8500 1066 work with my stock Dell XPS 410 MOBO if I upgrade to the Intel Quad-Core Q6600?

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W is a superb power supply in my estimation.

Going back to the Windows install, you will need a new Windows Install disk, because the Dell disk will not install unless it detects the Dell "signiture" hidden on the eeprom.

A good way to check the memory, is to go to the Crucial site, www.crucial.com, and enter your motherboard to get their memory requirement, and separately enter the computer you now how to find out optimum memory for that device. If the choices are the same, your problem is resolved.

There doesn't appear to be a good match on the memory. Here is what works in the Dell board:
Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-6400 with a maximum of 1GB per slot, and it does not go up to the speed and parameters of the other DIMM: DDR2 PC2-8500 • CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-1066 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64
In simpler words, no, the memory cannot be exchanged between the two boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back