TechSpot

Dell XPS keeps going off every 10-15 mins

By Nitto1320Legend
Dec 7, 2009
  1. I've Had the motherboard replaced twice... fan works... cpu is good dont relly know whats wrong

laptop is only about 6-7 months old

dell told me to do a scan for hardware to see whats bad but while doing the scan it goes off...

Thanks

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,213   +230

Have you checked the "power" options for the shutdown process and time? What version of Windows are you running, Windows 7? Motherboard replaced twice in 6 months???? did you buy a lemon or are you real tough on laptops?

3. Nitto1320Legend

Nitto1320Legend TS Rookie Topic Starter

yes all my setting for the power says never never never.., yes i have windows 7 im thinking the fan dont work i dont see it spinning ,but the dell ppl said the fan dont turn on untill the cpu starts getting hot to cool it down...

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,213   +230

The fan should run immediately when the laptop first starts up, then stop for a while, then run constantly. If you never hear or feel it running, it is bad

5. Ronell

Ronell TS Rookie

Hahahahah funny one Tmagic, "did you buy a lemon or are you real tough on laptops?" i also think its a cooling system problem, i would suggest downloading temperature monitoring tools like "Speedfan" is should tell you whats under the hood. Otherwise i thats not the case then i suggest that you run a hardware diagonistic tool, it could be you ram killing you.
    Hope it helps

Cheers

6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Seem this prior, DELL should know better just to give you a replacement laptop.

7. Nitto1320Legend

the laptop supports up to 4gb or ram it has 4 gb of ram

thanks for the tools...

i cant run the hardware diagonistic i tried the laptops goes off while doing it

8. Nitto1320Legend

i talked to dell today they are going to take my laptop and see whats wrong.. thanks for the help

9. Ronell

Ronell TS Rookie

Ok Nitto, i hope they fix it for you... Please let us know of their analysis.

Cheers R

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.