Dell's Adamo XPS pulled from stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It seems that Dell may have pulled its pricey ultra-thin Adamo XPS notebook. The system's product page no longer functions properly. If you click "continue" to purchase the laptop, an error is presented suggesting the Adamo XPS is no longer in the company's system. The notebook is still available in the UK through Dell's exclusive deal with retailer John Lewis, but the store only has eight units in stock.

Having first launched in December, this would mark an extremely brief lifecycle for the Adamo XPS. Some speculate that an updated model may be on the way. Considering its $1,800 asking price, the XPS has probably been slow to move off shelves, as other popular ultrathins are more wallet-friendly. For instance, Apple's MacBook Air starts at $1,499, and Dell's own Adamo 13 was recently cut to $999.

Permalink to story.

I reckon it was that hinge which was its undoing - you can't close the laptop with one hand without it coming crashing down on the desk.

slh28 said:
I reckon it was that hinge which was its undoing - you can't close the laptop with one hand without it coming crashing down on the desk.
Haha, I was thinking the same thing myself! It's a very bad design in my opinion. While I'm no Apple fan, I have to say that the Air is more attractive at that price point.

Yet another example of "looked great on paper" product design. Form over function is really not the way to go in consumer electronics.

I must admit that the Adamo XPS looks nice but the setup looks uncomfortable on your lap also. Would I buy it if I had the money? No
If I had one, then I would sell it and use the money to buy me a better thought out form factor.

I agree, and it looks like the cpu and gpu etc would be under the lcd, i would think all the devices under the lcd, and being so close, the heat would cause the lcd to display some funky stuff i bet...

ya structure of the laptop is not that good I think.....might be some different things are tried introduce by the designer of this laptop.
@renegeek I don't think devices heat effect the lcd coz there is bypass on the bellow of the keyboard.....that would reduce the heat. if they don't think all this it would be in the market ya.

by the way they pulled from the market that another case.

just as Vrmithrax said, this was a macbook wannabe without its power, I don't see why anyone would buy a computer just by the looks and not for its function.

Dell surely overprices some of its products!
which is also wat APPLE does! but i think apple products r a gr8 value for money!
i wud go with macbook instead of this XPS!

This loook like a fail for Dell and they keep silence over this.Make better design with atractive prices and buyers respond positive So Dell show as your new face!

I had the Macbook air for a few hours and I had all the time the impression that it was going to break :).
This one seems even more fragile than that, especially because of the design, as most of us noticed.

If the only thing exceptional about this laptop was it's thinness, then I can understand it has failed at that price! Plus it looks like you need to put it on a desk to use it, which is not always convenient.

Looks like monitor is heavier than the keyboard and there's a tendency of falling the screen on the lap while keyboard on the top. It seems that Adamo does not apply much of ergonomics principles. But I must say that I'm impressed with its looks; that's pretty much good. I just don't see any user-convenience experience with the design.

I hadn't noticed the fact that you couldn't put this on your lap. Good call everyone. Yeah that kind of rules it out for me as well.

I would wager that this is entirely due to slow sales. But when you price a PC higher than a Mac you can't expect to sell many. Why buy this laptop when you could get the Mac version for less and the Mac gets better reviews?

jjbeard926 said:
I would wager that this is entirely due to slow sales. But when you price a PC higher than a Mac you can't expect to sell many. Why buy this laptop when you could get the Mac version for less and the Mac gets better reviews?
Agreed, but I'm guessing that's why the cut the price of the Adamo Admire, still don't know why it was vanished from the website. I read that Electronista contacted Dell about it but nothing yet, I wonder if they're gonna get any buyers for the leftovers :p

Is like a gay PC, not sure if it wants to be a desktop or a laptop. And for the price they were asking good riddance, redesign PLEASE!

There is nothing wrong with the hinge, it doesn't crash down, in fact you can leave it half open and it stays that way. It may look fragile but it is very sturdy with a solid build.

I was surprised to find that it sits fine on your lap and unlike other notebooks your lap stays cool with the open space. I was also concerned about the angle of the keyboard but it has a very comfortable angle.

There is nothing under the LCD, other than the lid of course.

I bought this laptop because I wanted something lighter since I travel for business. It performs great for what I need and plays HD movies without an issue when I'm on the road. Obiously I like the looks but that's a matter of taste so to each their own.

Why not the Macbook Air? Easy, I don't like Macs, I know that's difficult for the Mac fans to comprehend but not EVERYONE loves Macs. Besides, I already have a MacBook which I hardly use.

I can see the price point being an issue and low sales the main reason it's no longer available.

I own one of these (Adamo xps) and it is one of the best notebooks I have ever used. I also have Apple, and other dell notebooks. The design is amazing and performance is fantastic for general light duty work. The unit is very sturdy, and dosen't fall off your lap but balences perfectly. I don't mind the discontinuing of this model - it will make mine more unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back