Dell's S2240T arrives: 21.5-inch, 1080p multi-touch display for $399

By Rick
May 29, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. "Exceptional usability" is one phrase Dell is using to describe its S2240T, the company's latest 21.5-inch LED display touting multi-touch input. The S2240T is Dell's newest attempt to cash-in on modern touchscreen cachet, a feature now more accessible than ever...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,725   +874

$399? No thanks.
  3. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,584   +489

HDMI + DVI-D + VGA + USB 2.0 doesn't really outclass DisplayPort + USB 3.0, more like the other way round.

No details about CPU/Memory/SSD, not here, not from DELL, suggests those are likely to suck...
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,018   +683

I can see this being useful (although a bit expensive) for a business. The place where I get my haircut has a computer where you walk up to check in and they had to put a big sign on it that says 'Use the mouse.' because so many people were poking the screen.

But for home use? I don't see many people wanting to reach out and touch their screen. Like touch screen ultra books, they seem like a solution to a problem Windows 8 created.
    misor likes this.
  5. pretzelwagon

pretzelwagon TechSpot Member Posts: 30

Do most monitors come with CPU/Memory/SSD?
    drjekel_mrhyde likes this.
  6. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,584   +489

Ha-ha :) I was just looking at DELL's all-in-one PC, and for some reasons thought of this one as such PC also... :)

In this case it is way too expensive...
  7. pretzelwagon

pretzelwagon TechSpot Member Posts: 30

Haha yeah. If this had the Surface Pro Wacom pen included for this price it would be a much different matter. But as is, far too expensive. Just a fun toy.
  8. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 968   +147

hehehe... I remember the movie star trek (original version) in which the crew time travelled to the past and one of them hold the mouse near his mouth and said "computer on".
    p51d007 likes this.
  9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,831   +706

What the hell is wrong with the good old mouse & keyboard for desktops? If it ain't broke...
    p51d007 likes this.
  10. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 867   +128

Strictly nothing, but generally it depends on the activity. There may be cases where you want a standing, large display for users to interact with. Adding touch capabilities isn't "fixing" anything, it's just adding to it.
  11. Well, I am looking forward to holding up my hand to the monitor the entire day, so much easier than moving my mouse.
    twopugsmom and p51d007 like this.

12. twopugsmom

twopugsmom Newcomer, in training

Well, it has been 3 months, but I just got one on Dell for $250.00 Free shipping. Now if I weren't such a ***** I would figure out how to use it....;)

I am commenting to myself. But I can say the reason I got it is I have had 1 badly botched neck surgery and two more to follow that we not particularly successful, so once I figure this out...I am hope to alleviate all of the looking down and such that irritates the hell out of my neck. I am in CONSTANT unbearable pain. I am a digital photographer and use Photoshop, neither of which I can do now because, whenon the computer too long, I am in such pain that I literally sob. (And I am 56 and on enough pain meds to probably kill a horse...) I will try anything to get back even one thing that brought joy into my life!!!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.