Delta's 120mm fan @ 59db!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Delta 60mm (8000 rpm :eek:, but 50.15 CFM!) runs at 54 dba.

Yes, there are some VERY loud fans out there. (Mostly made by Delta ;))

I have a Delta 80mm fan that I want to change out for a more quiet fan. The problem is that the Delta is what cools my CPU and it does a great job at it. I just wish it was about 20dba's more quiet.

I have a Swiftech 462a so my heatsink definately does most of the work. Any suggestions on just a more quiet fan that will still keep my CPU at decent temps.

Re: Re: Delta's 120mm fan @ 59db!!

Originally posted by Didou

You need to tie all your compunents to the mainboard & you have to pin the mainboard to the tower itself :D

& also make sure your cat is never in the neighbourhood ;)

Hahaha... Sounds more like a helicopter than a PC :D

Originally posted by svtcobra
I have a Delta 80mm fan that I want to change out for a more quiet fan. The problem is that the Delta is what cools my CPU and it does a great job at it. I just wish it was about 20dba's more quiet.

I have a Swiftech 462a so my heatsink definately does most of the work. Any suggestions on just a more quiet fan that will still keep my CPU at decent temps.

I'm using the GlobalWin WBK38 with the 60mm Delta screamer. I replaced the fan with a 80mm 3000 RPM fan and surprisingly, it does the job pretty well compared to the 7000RPM Delta fan. The CPU is just like ~2-4 degrees celcius hotter. Not too much to worry about. Perhaps you can try that as well.

Was it generic or a name brand? How is the noise?

It's a generic brushless fan. Noise is just about any other 80mm fan. Not sure about the actual decibel level though.

Panaflo Fans

I posted my list of Cooling Resources here-->
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=338&highlight=cooling+resources

Whether high speed 60mm, or low speed 80mm ( w/ adapter) it takes a certain volume (cfm) of air to cool, ambient temperature not withstanding.

Rick also mentioned Panaflo Fans as an option,
Size: 60mm x 60mm x 25.5mm
Power Consumption: 2.04W
Air Volume: 19.1 CFM
Noise (in Decibles): 32 dBA.
NOTE: Bare Wire Leads (3 and 4 pin "Panaflo Tails" wire lead connectors needed)

I picked up a low speed 80mm Panaflo on Ebay with a 3 pin tail and a 3 to 4 pin molex connector. It is rated at 21dba so it should be plenty quiet. I was changing out my cdrom a few days ago so I decided to unplug the delta for a second to see how quiet the computer is when that fan isnt screaming and it was a completely different computer. I only let it run for about 5 seconds and even with the case off, it was very quiet. I cant wait to get this new fan in place and be rid of the noise. I doubt my temps will rise more than 5 degrees and with an idle temp of 38c with an ambient temp of 73f, it will be fine.

You guys should here my fan!!! I have one side of my case off and a box fan from WallyWorld blowing directly on my motherboard! Yes, it can be quite loud, but it's worth it because it lowers my temps by about 7-8 degrees. :)

Also, air pressure helps cooling alot. Delta fans specialize in it, making their 60mm fans all the better for mounting on the CPU heatsinks. They also make good case fans, really high performance. Plus, most overclockers not using water cooling need the performance, in spite of the noise.

Originally posted by svtcobra I cant wait to get this new fan in place and be rid of the noise. I doubt my temps will rise more than 5 degrees and with an idle temp of 38c with an ambient temp of 73f, it will be fine.

Trust me dude, you'll feel the difference. After I changed my fan to an 80mm one, I'm able to hear myself think again. It helps my sleeping to as I turn on the comp at night as well :D

LOUD!!! you want load i have a 120mm fan this is would be ok if it where the regular load speed fan however this is not one of those measly 4-5 watt fans it goes beyond the wopping 7.4 watts this is a 24 watt fan :eek: !!! i would like a quite one but this is the smallest that will fit on my radiator any idea on getting quiter without giving up cooling?

120mm fans??? Hmm... Looks like the ones that are inside Sun servers. I managed to peep into an E220 server the other day. If I'm not wrong, they're using like 4-6 120mm fans. The CPU isn't cooled directly. It's cooled via a wind tunnel. Interesting design :D

Originally posted by lokem

Trust me dude, you'll feel the difference. After I changed my fan to an 80mm one, I'm able to hear myself think again. It helps my sleeping to as I turn on the comp at night as well :D

My computer has been transformed. It went from screaming to absolutely quiet. I got scared for a second because the fan wasnt plugged in correctly and the temp shot up to 65c! I figured the fan wasnt strong enough so I pulled it off but while I was unplugging the fan I noticed that one of the plugs was loose so I tightened it back up and reinstalled everything. Now I am idling at 51c which isnt great but the sound is awesome. I can actually hear my hard drive spin now. I dont play any games and my wife uses the computer more than me. I really live by my laptop. Now I can watch tv and not listen to my computer humming behind me.

Thank God I finally decided to buy this. Oh, btw at full cpu usage the temp creeps up to 54c. Not that bad. I bet there are alot higher temps out there.

120mm fans??? Hmm... Looks like the ones that are inside Sun servers. I managed to peep into an E220 server the other day. If I'm not wrong, they're using like 4-6 120mm fans. The CPU isn't cooled directly. It's cooled via a wind tunnel. Interesting design :D

yes it is an intersting. HP has been useing a channeling method to cool their cpu's for some time. usaly has a plastic chanel guide going straight from the system fan works ok but overclocking is a big NO NO. but for the average :puke: user it is fine and very quite

I can actually hear my hard drive spin now. I dont play any games and my wife uses the computer more than me. I really live by my laptop. Now I can watch tv and not listen to my computer humming behind me.

Thank God I finally decided to buy this. Oh, btw at full cpu usage the temp creeps up to 54c. Not that bad. I bet there are alot higher temps out there.

I get what you mean dude. I wasn't used to it at first coz I was afraid that the new fan wouldn't be powerful enough. Good thing it is holding up :D My girlfriend was complaining that the fan was too loud. After I changed it, she still complained coz I have 4 fans in the case itself, excluding the CPU fan. But it still better than nothing ;)

51 degrees at idle sounds a bit high. What's yer ambient temp?

I get what you mean dude. I wasn't used to it at first coz I was afraid that the new fan wouldn't be powerful enough. Good thing it is holding up :D My girlfriend was complaining that the fan was too loud. After I changed it, she still complained coz I have 4 fans in the case itself, excluding the CPU fan. But it still better than nothing ;)

51 degrees at idle sounds a bit high. What's yer ambient temp?

Im actually idle right now at 49c with an ambient temp of 24c/78F.

I have a Lian Li case with 3 fans, a Enermax PSU with 2 more fans and a 120mm fan blowing at my GF3. If I disconnect the 120mm fan my ambient temps creeps up 3 degrees and so does my CPU temp. Im happy in the 49-51 temp range. I know it is a bit high but it is a good trade off for less noise. My computer is 100% stable as well. I figure that I'll probably get a new CPU in the next 6 mos. so if this one starts dying on me from heat exhaustion it will be no big deal.

Originally posted by svtcobra Im actually idle right now at 49c with an ambient temp of 24c/78F.

I have a Lian Li case with 3 fans, a Enermax PSU with 2 more fans and a 120mm fan blowing at my GF3. If I disconnect the 120mm fan my ambient temps creeps up 3 degrees and so does my CPU temp. Im happy in the 49-51 temp range. I know it is a bit high but it is a good trade off for less noise. My computer is 100% stable as well. I figure that I'll probably get a new CPU in the next 6 mos. so if this one starts dying on me from heat exhaustion it will be no big deal.

I've a AXP1600 and my temp now is 38c with the casing temp at 24c. Seems like the AXP has quite the advantage in heat dissipation compared to the Thunderbird.

My goodness, why does the GF3 need sooo much cooling? Please tell me you're OCing the card coz I'm thinking of getting a GF3Ti200 myself and I dont' wanna place a gigantic fan to cool it...

I've a AXP1600 and my temp now is 38c with the casing temp at 24c. Seems like the AXP has quite the advantage in heat dissipation compared to the Thunderbird.

My goodness, why does the GF3 need sooo much cooling? Please tell me you're OCing the card coz I'm thinking of getting a GF3Ti200 myself and I dont' wanna place a gigantic fan to cool it...

Yeah, the XP's definately have a better heat dissapation method. When I had the Delta fan I was idling around the same as you. That was with a Swiftech 462a that cost me close to 100.00. Now, with the Swiftech HS and the Panaflo fan it seems to be doing an okay job.

As far as the GF3 cooling goes, Im just paranoid. I go on these websites like 1coolpc.com and read what htey say about proper cooling and before you know it I have another fan. I do have to say that the 120mm fan allows a little bit more oc'ing but also keeps my cpu down almost 2 degrees. Thats not a bad trade off for a little bit of noise. Its noticible but not annoying. With all the case fans and the PSU fans its not a big deal. My computer is so much quieter now than before with the Delta fan. I couldnt even be on the phone and sit at my computer at the same time. It was very loud.

es it is an intersting. HP has been useing a channeling method to cool their cpu's for some time. usaly has a plastic chanel guide going straight from the system fan works ok but overclocking is a big NO NO. but for the average uke: user it is fine and very quite

True enough since the servers are almost always in the cold room. I don't consider the E220 quiet at all. I was sitting next to 2 units and it kinda drove me crazy at first b4 I got the Delta screamer.

Sitting next to 2 of those units is rather similar to sitting next to 2 Delta screamers ;)

100 bucks for a HSF sounds very steep. But that should be fine for enthusiasts :D

How do you position your 120mm fan? Directly on top of your vid card? Correct me if I'm wrong, all GF3 models come with a HSF stuck to the chip rite? And if I don't intend to OC it, would it suffice?

i have mine zip tied to the side of my case facing it (and i have the GF2 w/ water cooling now) if you want a quite fan think turbine. i found one in the junkyard for an old 1982 CJ5 jeep heater. This is a 12v .38 amp fan pushes lage quantities of air and is comletly silent can not tell it is on if you dont see it moving very fun, only downside is it pushes air out the short side so it takes custom mounting (once again zip ties to the resuce):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back