TechSpot

"Designed by Abble": UL warns USB chargers bear counterfeit UL mark

By Rick
Mar 15, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Underwriters Laboratories (UL) has issued a public notice, warning consumers about an untold number of counterfeit iPhone, iPad and iPod USB power adapters for sale. These unauthorized adapters bear a counterfeit "UL" certification mark and have not actually been tested...

Read more

2. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 762   +251

Of course a wall adapter isn't worth $29 dollars. Almost *Nothing* Apple sells is worth the asking price. That said, I would gladly pay a *small* premium for their hardware vs competitors for the build quality and ease-of-use factor. Unfortunately, Apple is addicted to high margins and while there are signs that Cook may be cheapening their products, don't expect prices to drop accordingly.

3. A $100 price difference between the Google Nexus 7 and the Apple iPad Mini is hardly a *small* difference in premium, especially when you read the online reviews......

4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

Would anyone like to buy my very gently used Abble mePad?

5. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,933   +126 Staff Member

Can we expect UL to go after all the other manufacturers selling inherently unsafe powersupplies for all sorts of devices for computers and whatnot now?
    Because this has been an issue for as long as I've been in IT
    Fake labels, be it the Swedish, Finnish & Danish (S, F, D marks)
    The UL marks or the famous "CE" mark which when having the wrong separation between the letters actually stands for "China Export"
    Bleh, what's a burned down house and a couple of dead bodies when you can fake a safety mark and sell your chinese crap making a couple cents more profit?

6. nismo91

nismo91 TS Guru Posts: 1,004   +11

I know the danger of a fake charger, therefore I'll always stay away from counterfeit and cheap charger. I'd rather use older genuine Nokia / Sony Ericsson chargers laying at my disposal. Most of them are rated at 5V (mA rating differs).

with a little soldering skills, multimeter and 30cents female USB connector, those charger have been given a new life. sometimes I even used one of those to power a small notebook fan to blow my wifi router. the charger itself barely gets warm under 24/7 operation.

7. captaincranky

Well, the the RIAA and MPAA aren't going to do it for them...!:p

There, there not, why all the hostility? Look on the "bright side", (pun intended). If you want to stage an insurance fire, "Abble" could be your go to company.

In fact, this product, and the many others like it, could precipitate the update of an ancient stereotypical pejorative term for an intentionally set fire.

I think Abble should begin to market these little exploding gems under the name, "Chinese Lightning Chargers". Catchy name, huh? (Again, pun intended).

And face it, these would be far superior to rubbing two Boy Scouts together to start a fire.

Anyway, I'm giving everybody one last chance on a great deal, my gently used Abble "mePad".

8. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,026   +154

Lol, almost every Chinese-made knock offs I've seen bears the UL mark.

although cheap, some are of good quality, at least the ones I used :), (external) looks the same with pricier "original" products certified by UL.

since I read that the internal parts of the knock offs have little surge protection, I now use a voltage surge protector. (with UL-certification marks from somewhere.. rolls eyes here :) )

9. Dr.No

Dr.No TS Rookie

10. captaincranky

You people do understand that UL gets a licensing fee for every device it allows the UL logo to be used on, right?

So that means, that every time somebody puts a fake approval on a device, they commit a "trademark infringement".

So now you have to ask yourself, is the device with the fake logo unsafe, or is UL labs pissed off because they're not getting their "royalties"?

In the case of the LAN cables you're going on about, answer this question, "have you ever grabbed a network cable, and even felt it be warm to the touch"?

At the other end of the bulls**t spectrum is "Monster Cables", who has a 2000% markup on everything they sell (*), and try and make it sound like a big favor they're selling you cables for those inflated prices. The markup on that nonsense is likely keeping Best Buy in business.

(*) 2000% is a guess but, off the top of my head, the only industry that has a higher profit margin, is most likely big pharma.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.