Desktop boots blank -- Gateway doesn't even come up for five minutes

trithumb

So I press the power button on my desktop. Powers up fans kick on and run high on processor and Video card for about 5 minutes. The power button does not light. After about 5 minutes the power button lights shows the gateway splash screen and then boots into windows. if you leave the computer run for a while (few hours) and you shut it down and boot it back up its fine. If you leave it off over night it shows the symptoms explained above.

It could be a motherboard issue too. Power supply issues can cause all sorts of trouble, and they're easier and cheaper to replace than a motherboard. What is the model number of this Gateway computer?

Yea I will probably run to best buy and rent a tester power supply. If it doesnt work ill prob just scrap it. Its my parents old desktop that they rarely use. Its older I dont recall what it is exactly.

Yea thas the first thing I checked for was blown caps. I pulled the video card and went back to on board graphics thinking it was something with the old AGP card in it... Then I realized it wasnt even doing the gateway splash screen or anything...

Back