Desktop changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Help

I had my desktop change and s fake virus warning icon in the right hand corner of my screen which I clicked and then it changed my desktop to some crazy blue red and yelow squares design. I cannot change it back it will not allow me. I have been through the SAS Ccleaner and malwarebytes ant-malware. SAS picked up some hijack stuff and stuff keeps coming up when i reboot and run this program. I have also been getting internet explorer -security warning pop ups asking me to run stuff which i just close... it's really annoying, any help is appreciated. the malware program picked up nothing.

you may have same problem I'm having

did you log off with everything exactly as it was supposed to be, only to find it different when you logged back on? A wallpaper you've never seen before and your files either gone or unaccessable?

With my system I think McAfee might have caused it. What Virus Protection program are you using? Check event logs. Mine said, "12-14-2008, 6:19AM, SystemGuard allowed a change to your Computer". I certainly did not have this problem before then.
I'm not getting the Internet Explorer security warnings and some of the other problems you mentioned, but it sounds very similar. I assume you can't access System Restore or if you can, it won't do anything?

I have no idea if Drive problems ("not found") or software problem causes this. Or they could be connected.
I'm waiting to hear back from a guy at McAfee in a few hours , if he solves my problem, I'll post what he did so you can see if it's at all applicable to your situation. Good luck!

don't know if this helps

Hi Newcomer In Training,

Well, the McAfee tech just kept telling me that the anti-virus software can't cause this kind of problem. He did a Remote Assistance utility just so he could do what I do myself (dumping TEMP files, cookies, etc.). He says "system guards allowed a change to your computer" would not lead to a changed desktop but as this happened at the same time, I think he's full of it. At any rate, I've looked all over the web and several sources say that Norton, McAfee, etc. can indeed cause this sort of problem.
You might want to do what I did: created a new user account, locate the old user files through Windows Explorer , then copy into the new profile. I got some back that way, not all. Good luck!

Hi Kazi,
I got the notification e-mail , but I think your post was actually meant for Please Help (Newcomer In training). It looks like my problem is solved (at least partially) however if some of the weirder aspects of keep up, I'll try the 8 steps. It all seems way over my head, so I'd rather not if I don't have to. By the way, is Spybot that free anti-spyware program all the high tech magazines were ranting and raving about? I had it once and somehow lost it (on my old computer,not this one) but it seemed to work well.

I am not on my computer now, I apologise for the long time it has taken me to reply, but I have been away for Christmas and busy. Before I came home for the holidays my comp went nuts and everytime desktop loaded I would get a blue screen sayig a bunch of crap and had to reboot. I am very frustrated, should I boot in safe mode and run the HJT for the log first?

Yes and then

BUT boot to safe mode with networking

update Mbam and SAS and run a scan

then post the logs

I cannot open MAM and I get an error when I try to run my SAS, I cannot uninstall SAS in safe mode either to install another version... so I am probably screwed.... I have attached the HJT Log since that';s alk I can do at this point.... any advice is great appreciated.

I cannot do what you advised, because there is no "
run" in safe mode when I goto "Start" like there normally would be.

What you are running is usually always on your computer
Try and do a search in your c drive for Devmgmt.msc

If you can't find tdssserv then thats alright
however it seems you do have an infection.
go to
http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/eng/partner/us/languages/english/check.html?n=1230946661109

Run a kaspersky online scan which can only BE DONE IN IE
Press accept
Wait for it to download updates
Click my computer and scan
Save the log when finished and attach back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back