Desktop icons auto-arranging

Michael_NY

Asus 1201N
Windows 7-32

A few weeks ago, I was infected by Live Security Platinum. After removal, my icons would auto arrange themselves at startup. I also had several other problems that DragonMaster Jay helped cure. Despite the cure, I still have the icon issue.

I have tried;
Creating new profiles (those have same sympton)
Clicking/unclicking "auto-arrange"
changing Dock settings (I don't have a dock program)

Any suggestions on how to resolve my icon issue?

Thank you

You may have a corrupted file going on, Are you able to run a windows repair, This will let you keep your personal settings and very well might correct the problem.

Windows Repair from Tweaking.com did not fix the issue. I did not have every option selected, so I will perform a full run overnight, but I am not optimistic.

Also, when shutting down Windows, I often have it "wait for programs to close" without any program listed.

Can you reinstall windows from your windows recovery, With out doing The full factory reinstall? See if this helps. You may in the end need to do a full factory reinstall. I find sometimes after a bad virus is removed their is a lot of corrupted files.

Cobalt,

I am reluctant to perform such a procedure simply because I use my netbook for work and it has not just all my documents on it, but the databases and merged files I spent too long creating to risk losing.

I know that the risk is minimal, but the icons auto-arranging is a very small issue that I am comfortable living with. I'd simply rather try whatever simple procedures I can to get rid of it before deciding that I will live with it.

But thank you for the idea. I'll probably resort to it when more problems occur in the future.

I understand, If all your files and such on here are for work. here is one thing I can think of. I don't know if you have tried this. Right click on desktop. Scroll down to personalize. Click on it. When the window pops up. In the top left corner click on (change desktop Icons) When this window opens scroll to the bottom . You will see (allow themes to changes desktop icons) remove the check mark and see if it helps.

I hadn't tried that one before. No luck, though.

Is there any way to find out what programs are causing windows, upon closing, to say "Waiting for Programs to Close". Often no programs are actually listed, and this started happening at the same time as my icon issues.

Can you bring up the Task manager? Look under a applications see if their are any programs running , just before shut down and see what running. This might give you a ideal.

You can also rebuild the Icon cach simply , By going to folder options and when the window pops up. Scroll down to show (hidden files, folders and drives), Put a check mark in this box, The go to C;/User/Username/App.Data/local folder. Click on this folder. When this opens Look for the IconCache.db.File. Delete this. Then reboot the computer. Windows then will rebuild the cache for you.

I would have thought it would have work, Repairing the Icon cache. I am kinda out of Ideals at this point. Let me give this some thought. I will get back to you.

Back