Desktop icons changed appearance again

Russ66

Hi
I had help in removing a virus ('windows has encountered critical error and will close in one minute') from my computer via this site about a month ago. A couple of the symptoms were altered appearance of the desktop icons and windows calendar opening on start up. Both of these went away when the computer was cleaned here. Last week they both reappeared - the calendar I fixed by changing the settings but I cannot fix the icons which have a 'cartoon-like' appearance again. I tried deleting the icon cache and letting the computer create another but that didn't work and I don't want to make things worse by meddling further in what I don't know enough about. I've scanned the computer with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes (with MSE disabled) and the computer comes up clean. I think I was caught by the fake Adobe update last time but I have removed Adobe Reader and added Foxit as advised at the time of the last virus removal. The only thing that has been downloaded was some kind of clipart my wife got from a free website a few weeks back. No alerts popped up about the site or files at the time. Any ideas on a cause/remedy for this?
Many thanks,
Russ

It is a regular problem. Some windows files are deleted/corrupted. Try the options below:
  1. Use system restore and restore to a previous dated restore point(which worked without the problem you specified)
  2. If that didn't work, try the Avira AntiVir Removal Tool from Here
  3. And the last option is using recovery tools like the one below. I've personally used it and was helpful.
  • Use this tool to recover default critical windows files and settings. Download and Instructions - Here

Try to refresh your desktop as well.

Right click anywhere that is blank on your desktop
Click refresh

See if that helps! If not, do what vis12345 has said.

Many thanks to you both for replies but tried all your suggestions and no luck so far - still look the same way.

Many thanks to you both for replies but tried all your suggestions and no luck so far - still look the same way.

• Now first run error checking(Properties->Tools->Error checking) in your main partition with both check-box ticked. You can do it even with the below software with tuneup disk doctor.

• Try using TuneUp Utilities(free version or paid) and run all tweaking and cleaning(change settings manually to get better cleaning using settings option) jobs with it. And if the problem still persists, then use tuneup styler(in tuneup utilities itself) and download new icon packages from their site and install it. Then get your default icons back with restore defaults action.

Back