Desktop is blank, no taskbar

By notechie
Jan 18, 2009
  1. Hello,

I have another problem. When I restart the computer it restarts to a blank desktop, no icons and no taskbar. Can't right-click, but I can do CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Also, I have noticed that everything is a bit bigger, like how it looks like in Safe Mode (which I am not in).

Help, please?
  2. zipperman

zipperman TS Rookie Posts: 1,179   +7

The Taskbar can be in 1 of 4 places.
    Move the mouse to all sides of the desktop.
    Is this a new OS installation,or a sudden change ?
    Its easy to set your things smaller with apperance,but you need right click.
    Why did you post in this forum ?
  3. notechie

notechie TS Rookie Topic Starter

This is a sudden change...could this be caused by a virus? <-- That's why I posted here.
  4. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 3,908

Yes, judging by your last logs that you posted in your virus thread you are still infected
  5. brucethetech

brucethetech TS Enthusiast Posts: 229

it's difficult to say without any other information than what you've provided. Press ctrl alt del and start explorer.exe process manually. that may get ur icons back so u can do the eight step proccess listed as a "please read" in the virus forum
  6. notechie

notechie TS Rookie Topic Starter

This is actually a different computer btw, and not the same one from the other Virus? post. That one is fixed now (or so I think). I put in Norton 360 (paid for it) so I think that will do...

For this computer, I couldn't find explorer.exe...don't know where it is. I also accidently put explorer.scf in the recycle bin (but I didn't empty the recycle bin) and now I can't recover it (cannot open recycle bin).

Comodo Firewall also detected malware when I tried to uinstall AOL 9.0 and Limewire. That's just cruel! Anyways, the laptop came with AOL 9.0 pre-installed.

Okay, nevermind. I re-installed the Toshiba boot disk and cleared everything (didn't need most of the files anyway). It's still slow though, but otherwise, everything's back to normal.

Case closed.
  7. KarbonKopy

KarbonKopy TS Rookie

It's probably a explorer crash. CTRL ALT DLT and go file, then to run. Type in explorer.exe and it should reshow your icons/desktop etc and get you on the right track to solving it.

I would then snag Spyware Doctor Starter Edition (free, and a great program) and do a full scan.
  8. zipperman

zipperman TS Rookie Posts: 1,179   +7

where Explorer is

Right click and create a Desktop shortcut,
    It's not a OS Installation.You have to add it.
    But MY Computer isn't much different.;)
  9. KarbonKopy

KarbonKopy TS Rookie

If it's Vista or XP you could consider a sfc.exe run to repair or replace those missing files you might of deleted as well via the repair or OS installation disk.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.