TechSpot

Desktop lagging, sometimes hangs up and slow, P4, Windows XP Pro

By bosdsz
Sep 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello All,

I would really appreciate some help from anyone, my problem so far has been with my desktop. Its pretty old, but had always been fast and steady, until recently i changed the motherboard because there was a Ram problem.

Config:

Intel (r) Petium 4
    3.06Ghz
    1.99 gb Ram
    Windows xp pro. 2008 Service pack 3

I even installed a new heat sink, but my cpu heat indicates nothing less than 60c
    internal temp 47c. I opened the desktop and placed a huge fan in front of it, but still no much change.

As for my original problem, its slow, i have reinstalled windows a million times, but after few days the same thing.

The last time i installed windows, it stayed fine for 3 days, until i installed Deamon tools, its started lagging again and hanging up sometimes, althought i uninstalled Deamon tools, but still the same.

Now when i play music, it kind of skips and crackles, Cpu usuage jumps from 20 - 50 - and 70 depending on the usuage, which is hardly much.

Could it be some hardware problem? if software then, how can it happen everytime i reinstall windows? i tried even Xp home and now professional.

Please help!!!!!!

2. DKRON

DKRON TS Enthusiast Posts: 560   +11

Run msconfig and disable programs that you don't need, it will speed it up alot

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.