Desktop loads 15 mins later after MSConfig, help

Hi everyone, I was trying to make windows load up a lil faster by twicking some startup items on msconfig but now it got worse. I picked Diagnostic Startup, after I restarted my computer, windows xp would load but none of my desktops would load our open with control penal.

So how can I get my desktop to load much faster now?

Thanks, I'm using windows xp

Hi everyone, I was trying to make windows load up a lil faster by twicking some startup items on msconfig but now it got worse. I picked Diagnostic Startup, after I restarted my computer, windows xp would load but none of my desktops would load our open with control penal.

So how can I get my desktop to load much faster now?

Thanks, I'm using windows xp

Hmm I will just tidy up some of that.
"none of my desktops would load our open with control penal."=
"none of my desktops would load or open with control panel."

Not sure what "none of my desktops would load" means, do you mean the icons?

"or open with the control panel" not sure what that would mean either?

Do you have more than one desktop? I only ever use one, maybe you could teach me something - lol.

I would select selective start-up and then look at your startup item and see what you do not need.

Are you running a lot of stuff at start-up?

I would minimise the things running there, in fact it might be an idea to uncheck everything and then reboot, if sometig you do not need will not work then you can check it's start up box.
You should have a good idea of what you really need, maybe you have already done that?

Also click the services tab and then hide the microsoft stuff and see if there is anything there you obviously do not need.

Use a bit of common sense, where may be stuff there you no longer need or obviously do not need, ipodservices for example or whatever.
You might want to keep your firewall and antivirus I would expect.

You can also do this from services (administrative services)in the control panel.

If you are not sure what something is you might want to leave it as it is but I expect you can change it back later.

The services method has better descriptions.

There may be other stuff in your startup folder.
You would know what runs at start-up I expect.

There are a few other tweaks that might might be possible.

How long does start-up normally take?

What I ment is nothing would open, no programs, no desktop items nothing, then like 15mins later my desktop items loaded up. I couldn't open anything from control panel. Now it seems to load my desktops but it takes forever....

Well put it back to as it was.
the diagnostic startup may well be slower anyway, probably not as bad as you describe.
Try doing as I described earlier.

Ya I put everything back to normal and it finally worked. When I tried to do this before it was not working... Its all good now.

Thanks everyone!

Jack

Back