TechSpot

Desktop wallpaper keeps on switching back

By Nathan123
Jan 23, 2009
  1. Dear TechSpotters,

I have a (hopefully) small problem:

As many do, I use photos of mine as my desktop wallpaper. From time to time, I do switch these for a change. Now, since a couple of days, whenever I switch resolutions and/or display devices (I work with an external monitor connected to my laptop), the wallpaper would automatically switch back to an older picture of mine, I used as a wallpaper some time ago.

When I open "properties" -> "desktop", the list of available wallpapers shows only a file name other than that of the wallpaper I want to have and the old one that is actually being shown (besides all the default Windows wallpapers). The preview for this image file shows a white screen, and indeed, if I hit apply (to reaffirm what has been selected anyway!), the desktop background turns all white.

I am using Windows XP, SP3.

Do you know what could be behind that? Any suggestions for remedies?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Nathan

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Sometimes the video graphics driver. Sometimes an infestation. Sometimes video card memory.
    I suspect you might benefit from a BIOS update, or an updated video graphics driver... or a run from CCleaner or other registry cleaner.

3. Nathan123

Nathan123 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hm, video graphics drivers are current and I run CCleaner on a regular basis. Looks like I'll see if I can go about update the BIOS...

Or are there other potential causes for this?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.