Desktop won't load... shdocwv.dll error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djackson84

can anyone help with this? My desktop is not loading and the error message claims that it can't find the shdocwv.dll component. How do I reinstall it if I can't even get my desktop to load beyond the wallpaper? I'm writing this from a borrowed computer. Any help would be appreciated. The problem first occurred after I tried to do a system restore to fix some weird glitches I believed were a virus.

Try starting the computer in safe mode (F8) and either undo the system restore or restore it to another point in time.

Do you have your Windows CD? If so, do a repair install of Windows. If that doesn't work, a full reinstall should do the trick.

I don't have a CD. Is there a way to reinstall just the dll? I can navigate my way online from the broken computer through the task manager, so I should be able to download a new one somewhere, right?

How are you getting to the Task Manager without getting to the Desktop? Anyway, give it a try.

Does the Windows Start key work? If so, you might be able to use the keyboard to navigate to the Control Panel.

List what your operating system is. It's nearly impossible to tell you how to replace the file without that information. Most of the time when you get missing, corrupt or windows cannot find error messages it's related to malware. This is not always the case however,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back