Determining bad RAM from Winddiag

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffo

Hi all.

Have had numerous crashes, ran winddiag, which reported problems with RAM. Question is, can you tell from the report which stick(s) is/are bad, or do you have to go through the hassle of swapping the RAM around to find out which one triggers a crash?

During the tests, the Stride 38 test consistently turned up failures. Here are some of the codes that popped up:

118a2244
1e6clfac
08683foc

Thanks!
Jeff

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

jeffo said:
Hi all.

Have had numerous crashes, ran winddiag, which reported problems with RAM. Question is, can you tell from the report which stick(s) is/are bad, or do you have to go through the hassle of swapping the RAM around to find out which one triggers a crash

Unfortunately. Windbg won`t tell you which stick of ram is bad.

That`s why you need to test each stick individually.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

run memtest86 overnight. If you know how much ram you have, it is easy to tell which stick (or memory slot) is bad. For example with a system with 1gB of ram comprising of two 512mb sticks, if memtest reports any address between 0 and 512mb, you know stick 1 is bad (or slot 1) - if its between 513 and 1024 - you know stick 2 or slot 2 is bad.

Tedster said:
run memtest86 overnight. If you know how much ram you have, it is easy to tell which stick (or memory slot) is bad. For example with a system with 1gB of ram comprising of two 512mb sticks, if memtest reports any address between 0 and 512mb, you know stick 1 is bad (or slot 1) - if its between 513 and 1024 - you know stick 2 or slot 2 is bad.

Of course, you are correct.

However. There are certain times when multiple sticks of ram will throw up errors in Memtest when used together, but not when used individually.

Mismatched ram/Ram with different timings/Incompatible ram/Faulty dimm slots etc. Will all give this type of error.

So, even though it`s more of a pain. It is better to test ram sticks individually first.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks for the answers, I guess I'll have to test them separately. Is there much of a difference between Winddiag and memtest, or will they both pretty much cough up the same results?

Jeff

Oops. I`m sorry. I`ve just noticed you said winddiag, and not windbg.

Anyhow. I personally use Memtest86+, and find it really useful. I`ve never tried Winddiag, so can`t give you a comparison. Maybe you could give me a link to the Winddiag programme?

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back