1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Determining bad RAM from Winddiag

By jeffo ยท 8 replies
Jan 6, 2006
  1. Hi all.

Have had numerous crashes, ran winddiag, which reported problems with RAM. Question is, can you tell from the report which stick(s) is/are bad, or do you have to go through the hassle of swapping the RAM around to find out which one triggers a crash?

During the tests, the Stride 38 test consistently turned up failures. Here are some of the codes that popped up:

118a2244
    1e6clfac
    08683foc

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. Jaquio

Jaquio TS Rookie Posts: 26

sadly... it has to be done that way...

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Unfortunately. Windbg won`t tell you which stick of ram is bad.

That`s why you need to test each stick individually.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

run memtest86 overnight. If you know how much ram you have, it is easy to tell which stick (or memory slot) is bad. For example with a system with 1gB of ram comprising of two 512mb sticks, if memtest reports any address between 0 and 512mb, you know stick 1 is bad (or slot 1) - if its between 513 and 1024 - you know stick 2 or slot 2 is bad.

5. howard_hopkinso

Of course, you are correct.

However. There are certain times when multiple sticks of ram will throw up errors in Memtest when used together, but not when used individually.

Mismatched ram/Ram with different timings/Incompatible ram/Faulty dimm slots etc. Will all give this type of error.

So, even though it`s more of a pain. It is better to test ram sticks individually first.

Regards Howard :)

6. jeffo

jeffo TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the answers, I guess I'll have to test them separately. Is there much of a difference between Winddiag and memtest, or will they both pretty much cough up the same results?

Jeff

7. howard_hopkinso

Oops. I`m sorry. I`ve just noticed you said winddiag, and not windbg.

Anyhow. I personally use Memtest86+, and find it really useful. I`ve never tried Winddiag, so can`t give you a comparison. Maybe you could give me a link to the Winddiag programme?

8. jeffo

jeffo TS Rookie Topic Starter

Howard,

I spelled it incorrectly, it's 'windiag', short for Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. This will bring you to the page where you can access it from:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Regards,
    Jeff

9. howard_hopkinso

Cheers for that jeffo.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.