Deutsche Telekom has agreed to sell T-Mobile USA to SoftBank, report claims

Shawn Knight

Staff member

report deutsche telekom t-mobile usa softbank

Deutsche Telekom has agreed to sell T-Mobile USA to Softbank according to a report from Japanese news site Kyodo News. The report didn’t include any specifics regarding the structure of the deal or pricing although a separate write-up from Reuters claims no decision is imminent.

Sources familiar with the situation told Reuters that while the two companies are indeed interested in hammering out a deal, it’s a complicated process with no shortage of hurdles to overcome.

As we found out when AT&T tried to acquire T-Mobile a few years ago, gaining regulatory approval isn’t always a given. If successful, the deal would combine Sprint, the nation’s third largest wireless provider, with the fourth largest carrier and effectively reduce the number of major carriers from four to three.

Even still, the combined company would be ranked third below Verizon and AT&T. The former has around 122 million subscribers while the latter provides service to 116 million people. The merged company would consist of just 103 million subscribers.

It’s no secret that Softbank Chairman Masayoshi Son is interested in scooping up T-Mobile as he feels a merger would be necessary to compete on a level playing field with Verizon and AT&T. Regulatory officials, meanwhile, have raised concerns that a deal might lead to higher prices for consumers.

Representatives for all parties involved either declined to comment or were not immediately available for comment.

Permalink to story.

Sprint and tmobile have offered some good, single phone plans at one point or another.
But their reception is effectively non existent in my neck of the woods, and really a large part of Appalachia.

So one crappy company is buying another? Yay... If this would actually make T-Mobile better that would be cool, but seeing as sprint is even worse than t-mobile in my city this is just stupid. I'll probably end up paying more too. The only good thing I can see coming from this is T-mobile actually getting good phones for once. It's pretty sad that the company that launched android gets the crappiest android phones

Thousands of people will lose their job with this sale. One less company to compete for the consumers business. The losers here are the consumer and the thousands of people headed towards unemployment. Our only hope is the FCC.

Sprint sucks the life blood out of every company they buy, and never really change their own culture. The only reason they want T-Mobile is because TMO is finally doing it right and Sprint can't stand the real competition.

Why is everyone ignoring the fact that Softbank is a Japanese company and we're selling american assets to them.

Sprint is tied with Verizon in customer service for the #1 spot. There are many things the company is doing correctly to head in the right directions. CEO Dan Hesse has been making many strides since joining the company. The company already owns more spectrum than any other carrier and with this merger even more. The only thing holding them back is the network to take full advantage of all that spectrum. That's where network vision comes in, it's a real thing happening right now. Service may suffer while in construction but they claim their network will be more advanced than any carrier at the moment. Meaning less dropped calls, better coverage, and faster data than any other provider.

Sprint will be the top carrier in a few years, just wait and see.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/presskits/sprint-network-vision-information-center.htm

Why is everyone ignoring the fact that Softbank is a Japanese company and we're selling american assets to them.

Umm...what american assets? Deutsche Telekom is german lol

Last edited by a moderator:

This LOL, Sure T-Mobile is a US company. But they were started by Deutsche Telekom. So nothing is changed here really. Still a foreign owner.

Is this Dan Hesse posting this comment???? Network vision has been promised for years and they are still far from achieving anything that they have stated. Sprint coverage and speed is the worst.

Sprint sucks the life blood out of every company they buy, and never really change their own culture. The only reason they want T-Mobile is because TMO is finally doing it right and Sprint can't stand the real competition.

I'm not saying I'm for the sale but if this happens I hear that Dan Hesse is not going to be the CEO anymore but the CEO of T-mobile will take over.

So one crappy company is buying another? Yay... If this would actually make T-Mobile better that would be cool, but seeing as sprint is even worse than t-mobile in my city this is just stupid. I'll probably end up paying more too. The only good thing I can see coming from this is T-mobile actually getting good phones for once. It's pretty sad that the company that launched android gets the crappiest android phones

And Sprint will get some good Windows Phones.

Thousands of people will lose their job with this sale. One less company to compete for the consumers business. The losers here are the consumer and the thousands of people headed towards unemployment. Our only hope is the FCC.

This is the least of the buyouts you have to worry about. AT&T buying Direct TV and Comcast buying Time Warner are much more dangerous.

Its easier for a company to come in and take 4th place with cell phones than Internet. I'm not saying I'm for this, just putting out some thoughts.

Sprint is tied with Verizon in customer service for the #1 spot. There are many things the company is doing correctly to head in the right directions. CEO Dan Hesse has been making many strides since joining the company. The company already owns more spectrum than any other carrier and with this merger even more. The only thing holding them back is the network to take full advantage of all that spectrum. That's where network vision comes in, it's a real thing happening right now. Service may suffer while in construction but they claim their network will be more advanced than any carrier at the moment. Meaning less dropped calls, better coverage, and faster data than any other provider.

Sprint will be the top carrier in a few years, just wait and see.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/presskits/sprint-network-vision-information-center.htm

Dan Hesse is the weak link of the company. Sure they have a great backbone but Dan Hesse paid $21 billion to get the iphone. He could have spent that money to add more towers and strengthen Sprints network. He also went with WiMax instead of LTE which cost the company money. If it weren't for him maybe Softbank wouldn't be in the picture and Sprint would be a stronger #3 or maybe even #2.

The good news is if this deal goes though I hear Dan Hesse is out and the T-Mobile CEO is in.

This is actually a hard venture to figure out if it will be good or not. It does make 4 companies to 3 but they are 2 weak companies who over the years could never get a foothold between Verizon and AT&T. So if this does make 2 weak companies into a stronger one that can compete better with the top two it could be a good sale. On the other hand it could make 2 weak companies into one weak company. If people who hate Sprint move to Verizon or AT&T and the same happens to the people who hate T-mobile, the new company could loose users like crazy.

The network could be made stronger because hopefully they'd make hybrid CDMA/GSM phones and maybe even quicken them bringing out more LTE towers for 4G. On the other hand if they can't make the hybrid phones switch automatically there will be more dropped calls as the phone switches from GSM to CDMA and visa versa. It would take a while for the company to have a strong enough VOLTE (voice over LTE) network so they would have to either keep the companies networks separate or being them together.

So its complex...more complex than the other two mergers (AT&T and DirecTV and Comcast and Time Warner) which I am 100% not for. This one I'm on the fence.

Maybe they're ignoring it because T-Mobile is a German company not an American company

If you can call any Windows phone good I suppose

Maybe they're ignoring it because T-Mobile is a German company not an American company

If you can call any Windows phone good I suppose

ios sucks, its boring and Google sometimes scares the **** out of me how much it can know about a person. Windows phone is a great OS and getting better...but to each their own right?

Back