Device cannot start (Code 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I was playing world of warcraft 4 days ago and all of a sudden my computer froze. I had a hard time logging on my computer for a couple of days. My computer would consistently freeze at the desktop. Wallpaper, and Icon would show and i'll be able to move my cursor but It woud just freeze and I wont be able to click anything, I was only able to log on in Safe mode and was able to fix the problem. It was my AVG 8.5 that was preventing me from logging on normal mode. After I deleted that I ran a chkdsk and everything seemed fine. Than I came across another problem I was missing tabs in my display properties. I downloaded a registry file and downloaded it in safe mode than it began to show again.

Now I have another problem. Every time I log on my computer my Display adapters both get a device cannot start. (Code 10) with a Yellow Sign filled with a black exclamation mark. The device cannot start (Code 10) happens with the following two devices.

ATI RADEON x600 256MB Hypermemory
ATI RADEON x600 256MB Secondary

If i uninstall and reinstall them it will work, until I restart my computer than it goes back to device cannot start. (Code 10). I updated the drivers, but I can't run Catalyst Control Center anymore i get a

Unable to load file or assembly mom. implementation. or
Unable to load file or assembly CLI. implementation.

So I uninstalled Catalyst Control Center and Installed ATI Trash tools but than I get a "can not find ati video board or catalyst drivers installed"

I would have to uninstall the

than reinstall it. To get ATI Trash tools to work, but when I restart my computer I get the "can not find ati video board or catalyst drivers installed" and "device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I went to troubleshooting to follow the directions. I did the uninstall/install. I did the update driver and remove all the old ATI driver files. I can't use system restore after my World of Warcraft froze on me. The furthest i can go back is May 9th 2009 when I fixed the issue with the computer freezing at desktop, and missing tabs. I removed the video card from my computer and put it back in tightly but that didn't work. I'm lost and don't know what to do. I never had this problem prior to the random freeze that happen while playing world of warcraft four days ago.

Here I'm going to give you some information on my computer. Im not that good with computer so Im not sure if this is useful or not. If you need more information I'll be glad to add more.

I'm running a

Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Dell Dimension DIM9100
Intel (R)
Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
2.79 GHz 1.00 GB of RAM

We have seen issues with Catalyst drivers a lot lately.
Have you looked at this? -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104/

I did notice that you said
Im not that good with computer so...

If the MS Knowledge Base article does not help, or if you need more help, repost.
We do want to help you. This is a great place (imho, the best!) to come for help!

Thanks for the advice. Ill try to do some of the things they list.

Currently, In order for me to get the

working properly.

I need to uninstall them. Reinstall them than start up ATI Trash tools. Everything will be working fine. Ill be able to play world of warcraft with good picture.

But when I restart the computer I get the

device cannot start. (Code 10) error on the

and ATI Trash tools will not work because I get the

"can not find ati video board or catalyst drivers installed"

So I will just need to Uninstall/Reinstall the

Than restart the ATI Trash tools. Everything will be working perfect until I restart my computer. Than i have to repeat the whole process. Its getting annoying doing this everything I start my computer.

Try this first ;)

Here's Driver Sweeper in case you need to remove drivers too ;)

What can it be used for ?
The current supported drivers are NVIDIA (Display and Chipset), ATI (Display), Creative (Sound) Realtek (Sound), Ageia (PhysX) and Microsoft (Mouse).

Hey Kimsland

I uninstalled my

I downloaded the Driver Sweeper and tried to Analayze and clean all the ATI Drivers, but they would delete than come back again.

I tried again in safe mode. They wouldn't come back this time after I Analayzed and Clean. I downloaded the latest driver. I started again in Normal mode, but I still had the same problem

"Device cannot Start (code 10)"

Than I did the usual. Uninstall/Install both ATI RADEON, and started ATI Tray tools to get it working again. When I restart my computer again it will just get the code 10 again.

Hey

Since I couldn't figure out the problem. I just did a system recovery using the operating system disk. Everything is working fine now. I was able to update the driver, and I dont get the error anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back