Device Manager not seeing HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyeman

Here's and odd one. I have a custom built machine with an Asus P5B MB, 3GHz P4 CPU, 4GHz RAM and a 150Gig Seagate SATA Hard drive running WinXP. Currently assigned drive letter C. I recently added a 1 TB Seagate Barracuda SATA HD and loaded Windows 7 currently assigned letter D. When I am booted on the Win7 drive, I see both drives in "Computer", but in "Device Manager" or the "Computer Management" window I can only see the small drive. Any thoughts?

Thanks
DS

Also with this system, when I am logged on the small drive in WinXP I see booth drives in device manager. The larger drive is assigned drive letter E not D as in above. My optical drive is D on the smaller drive and E on the larger drive with Win7

ds

Something is screwy, as if the drive appears in My Computer or Disk Management I'm pretty sure it in must be in Device Manager as well.

Here's some ways to sort things out
1. To see Device Manager properties
> Rt click the disk when you see it in Computer or Disk Management select Properties
> You should see a list of the disks
> Select a disk then click Properties button to see its Device Manager info
> You can then click the Volume tab then Populate button to see how the disk is partitioned

2. Another way to tackle the issue is using msinfo32. Use when you boot from either XP and Win 7
> Click Run, enter: msinfo32 to see System Information display
> Then select Components->Storage and look under both Disks and Drives

If you need more help you can provide the Disk and Drive System Information by selecting the information you see displayed and then copy/paste using the Edit menu in the System Information display (provide the data provided when you boot into XP as well as when you boot into Win 7)

Something is screwy, as if the drive appears in My Computer or Disk Management I'm pretty sure it in must be in Device Manager as well.

Here's some ways to sort things out
1. To see Device Manager properties
> Rt click the disk when you see it in Computer or Disk Management select Properties
> You should see a list of the disks
> Select a disk then click Properties button to see its Device Manager info
> You can then click the Volume tab then Populate button to see how the disk is partitioned

2. Another way to tackle the issue is using msinfo32. Use when you boot from either XP and Win 7

msinfo32 will display the correct information for both drives as does "Computer", Ifi I click computer>properties>general tab also displays the correct info, but if I click the hardware tab or go to "Device Manager" or "Computer Management"
It only shows the smaller drive running XP.

thanks
ds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back