TechSpot

Device not recognized

By wallflower89
Jan 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi this is the only place i could see where i could post this. If it is in the wrong place i am sorry.

I have an ipod nano i am trying to use. It is one of those "passed down" things. A cousin who had one but doesnt use it gave it to my brother who doesnt use it ect. And now i have it. From my research it is a second generation nano. (serial number: YM546ZY5TJT) I am trying to well put music on it and when i plug it into my computer i get "usb device not recognized" i have looked at the ipod website to try and figgure this out and nothing is working.
    I honestly dont know what to do. I dislike Apple products generally. And am at a complete loss as to what to do.
    Any and all help is appreciated.

2. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

If you dont have iTunes installed, the driver to recognize it may be missing, else is the cable or the iPods jack.

3. wallflower89

wallflower89 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

i have(had) itunes installed, and the cable apears to be visibly fine. I guess i will suck it up and find an apple store to take it to.

4. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

Try this too.

> Shutdown computer.
    > Unplug the ipod AND TURN OFF the ipod
    > Power up computer
    > Does the ipod have its own AC adapter, if yes, connect it to ipod but keep ipod turned off
    > Now plug in USB cable first and then you can turn the ipod back on