Diablo II: Resurrected gets support for Nvidia DLSS, but there are some kinks to iron out

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: A remastered version of Blizzard’s classic action role-playing game, Diablo II, landed this past September for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series, Windows PC and Nintendo Switch. Since then, the dev team has been continuing to optimize the game servers and listening to player feedback. Now, some of those new features are ready to make their debut.

The most notable is support for Nvidia DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) tech on PC’s with compatible Nvidia graphics cards, which arrived in the new 2.3 patch. DLSS is an AI rendering technique that uses Nvidia’s Tensor Core AI processors to produce higher quality visuals without a major performance penalty.

As PC Gamer notes, the early implementation isn’t working flawlessly for all users. The publication pointed to a Reddit thread where some users were experiencing blurriness when enabling DLSS. This, according to one user, could be related to the fact that Blizzard appears to be using dll 2.2.11 instead of the latest iteration, version 2.3.4. Details on how to update to the latest version are provided over on Reddit.

That said, Diablo II: Resurrected’s system requirements aren’t very steep to begin with. The recommended configuration over on Battle.net calls for an Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+, 6GB of RAM, 25GB of available storage space and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 4870 or better.

The new patch also delivers a handful of visual tweaks to the front-end user interface as well as audio improvements when navigating menus and refilling potions.

Diablo II Resurrected retails for $39.99.

Permalink to story.

Am I the stupid one ? - so the GPU requirements are low
You require a late model RTX Nvidia GPU that can do a DLSS.
This remaster is a tweak of some textures and audio ?

So why would you need DLSS ?

so my RTX 2060 can run it on higher res ?

Given that Diablo 2 Resurrected runs on a potato, I am struggling to see how this was a good use of dev time. Especially when anyone with a DLSS capable card would already have sufficient power to run this at native res without any issues. But yeah, got some free headlines, so maybe it was worth it for that.

DLSS can help a lot with running the game at 4K/120HZ
Say what - if you gave C64 more memory - if could run a good approximation - localised sprites on a background - flowing lava is probably a rotation of 4 square blocks if you made it for the C64.
at 120HZ your character will still look janky walking around - that's part of the charm of these games .
There is no 3D graphics - there are just 3D layers - you go behind a tree - because that layer is in the front - like a school play or old time movie .
Some game designers use it for that charming old school effect in side scrollers - with layers moving slower the deeper back they are .
Yes a C64 could run those as well

Am I the stupid one ? - so the GPU requirements are low
You require a late model RTX Nvidia GPU that can do a DLSS.
This remaster is a tweak of some textures and audio ?

So why would you need DLSS ?

so my RTX 2060 can run it on higher res ?
I don’t have this game but DLSS isn’t just for helping games that struggle. For example if you don’t like the TAA implementations in some games like me then DLSS offers a better looking solution. But also if you want to run a game at a more consistent high frame rate it helps too.

I’ve recently started RDR2 again and it’s been updated with DLSS and in that game you only get about 5-7 fps more in DLSS quality mode but it looks genuinely better than native.

Then there’s games like Back 4 Blood, that game runs around 100-130 fps maxed out with DLSS off. But turn DLSS on and it’s pinned at the 144 refresh rate of my monitor and never drops below that. Personally once again I think it looks clearer than native too.

If I remember, Blizzard didn't actually do this remaster, it was done by a 3rd party, correct? If I could give that dev my money instead of Act/Blizz, I would just so I could play this again.

Another useless feature from a useless company. How about you fix the server issues before you add more useless features

Back