TechSpot

Diablo III server debacle demonstrates the problem with ‘always-online’ games

By Julio Franco
May 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. We were all excited last night. After a 12-year wait, Diablo III, Blizzard's much-anticipated action-fantasy loot-fest, had finally arrived. It was sitting there installed on our hard drives, waiting for...

Read the whole story

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +388

The companies (especially activision and ubisoft) will learn eventually it hurts them more than it helps them to have always online requirements.

3. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,455   +566

I wouldn't be so confident in this. People have been saying that about the MPAA and the RIAA for years...They still haven't taken the hint.

4. Well said. Another problem we'll face is when they no longer support the servers for Diablo 3 to be played. I'm sure that'll be quite a ways down the line but will be unfortunate since we will no longer be able to revisit this game. I still have three G3 iMacs that my kids and I use to play Diablo 2. May once interest wanes in a few years they'll patch it for offline/LAN play and we can load it up to reminisce.

5. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah TS Rookie Posts: 18

Yup, this is the biggest joke of a release in a while. There always should be an offline mode, always. How long has Blizzard been doing this now?

6. I wouldn't worry about continued support for hosting the servers. You can still play Diablo 1 on battle.net to this day, I connected 2 weeks ago out of curiosity. It's been available for 16 years and counting.

7. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,455   +566

^ Moreover, by the time they discontinue any servers Pirate Bay will already be saturated with DRM-disabled versions of the game -- and that's the issue here. Those of us who paid $60 for the game are dealing with this always-on nonsense ultimately for no reason at all. I'll bet on a functional single-player version hitting the pirate waters in less than three weeks.

8. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 734   +230

But the game makers are <I>already</I> getting a clue. Some of them are doing away with online authentication and DRM. The smarter developers are figuring out that only paying customers are impacted by meaningless protection schemes, and all the bugs and hindrances they bring. Meanwhile the pirates happily play without any of those inconveniences. God bless the pirates, I say, because their clearly NOT hurting anyone's bottom line significantly and their exposing DRM for the consumer-hostile joke that it is.

9. Spot on. And it's not just last night. It's been like this all day and now their servers are down again. I've requested to get a refund, because I purchased it to play as a single player and I am no longer willing to put up with this BS from Blizzard or anybody else.

10. "But the game I play doesn't need to be online."

"It means that we play at their pleasure, and that we no longer have the power to decide when our game starts and when it doesn't."

Couldn't have said it better myself. I understand what they are trying to do, but I think Blizzard thought itself mighty enough to take on such a challenge in order to stop any kind of tampering with the Diablo III world. What this has showed is that there are some severe repercussions to not letting customers opt-out of these 'experiments' on their own terms.

Although as soon as everything is running smoothly, everyone will forget about it, just like WoW's nightmare release queues have been all but erased and went on to be the most successful MMO in game history.

11. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,690   +60

Yeah I was quite surprised they offered no form of offline play, looks like you will have to pirate offline mode.

12. just spam the login with a automated macro like everyone else was doing thats why no one could get in

13. They have already emulated World of Warcraft servers, so it will be done for Diablo 3 as well. But since Diablo is suppose to be a singleplayer game with option of co-op, I'm sure they'll be an offline only crack. As for preventing cheating, they built a real money action house right into the game - so cheating is part of the game.

14. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

They won't do anything because they have enough brainwashed *****s to make up for the loss of anyone with their brains intact.

15. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 808   +51

Am I not glad on my decision to end my gaming career... :rolleyes:

16. I can't understand what brain can think about a internet conection as a way to stop piracy, you just have to google crack "X" game and in 5 minutes, or less, you can play without any internet conection, but no, why don't we just punish the people than buy our games?, you know, the requeriment of an internet conection is a way to stop piracy........

17. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 634   +60

It's an extremely popular game. They'll get it sorted out. I have the game and am going through the same issues but, I'm not gonna be childish about it. They'll have everything sorted out soon(sometime this week soon).

18. And people wonder why the PC platform is in the poop house.

Piracy is a result of sinful society. People steal because they think it is "ok".

Laws will not change that unfortunately.

19. It's not a matter of 'google crack X game' for D3. It'll be months before (bug-ridden & laggy) D3 emulation servers start popping up...

20. @Guest on May 16, 2012 1:50 AM:
    That's not true at all. This isn't WoW or SC2 we're talking about. This is Diablo 3, a game that most people are very happy to through the game alone. So this means they won't need to set up actual cracked servers. Store the content locally then connect locally (127.0.0.1) to retrieve the content - since that's the way the game works. They already did it both ways with the beta, your assumed server way and the local way, so obviously it won't be hard for them to make it for the full game. I guess they first have to play through the entire game however and copy all the content...

21. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Sinful society?

I see, you're one of those. Is it difficult to walk and breath?

22. Wrong, wrong, wrong and once more 100% wrong. That wasn't the issue that prevented others from loging in.

23. One of those what?

24. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,276   +153

Wait for a proper offline server emulator to be released.

As usual pirates will have a better gaming experience than those who bought the original.

25. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 885   +234

Kirk, your article demonstrates the problem with people who cry about issues with 'always online games'. Remove your inner gaming child who wants to cry because his new game didn't work perfectly and view this with a business perspective.

It's thier product and they can choose how they want to distrubute it and control it.
    They (Blizzard) should have planned better but other then that I don't have any problem with anything they have decided to do with Diablo III.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.