TechSpot

Diablo III successfully ported to a console, its fate still up in the air

By Shawn Knight
Dec 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Blizzard has successfully ported Diablo III to a console version, although don't expect to go pick up a copy for the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 anytime soon. The port remains an unofficial project at this point, according to Blizzard...

Read more

2. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 894   +173

A console port seems like something Blizzard should have prepared before they released the game.

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,387   +425

If they manage to get this properly set up for the PS3 and XBox, they will sell a bazillion of them.

4. lchu12

lchu12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 199   +9

Maybe they should focus on delivering what was promised. (e.g: PVP, bug fixing, etc...)

In any case, lots of speculation thrown up already within the game:
    -2 new classes
    -1 new act
    -either rune words or new gems
    -few new items

*SPOILER*
    -probably involve Adria
    -probably invovle missing angel of wisdom

5. They better make sure this console version is not a bad port or else it may be the dry season instead of the Blizzard they expect.

6. I'd rather see Torchlight 2 ported.
    Diablo 3....lost the Diablo touch IMHO.

7. Anybody wanna do some infernal machine runs?

8. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

I agree, I played casually for a week or so (and perhaps I am just older so the fault lies with me) but it didn't capture my attention like Diablo 1 or 2, or hell even the Neverwinter Nights series. I have since uninstalled it.

9. lchu12

lchu12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 199   +9

I'll do some uber runs, what's your tag?

10. They should had made this garbage for consoles in the first place.

11. Yes, Torchlight 2 is very cool. Diablo 3 is just a way to get your money.

12. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Im surprised Blizzard didnt take into account that ppl would want to play on the home console. I know all the PC gamers understand about games and not having them ported. I dont actually own a gaming PC. There are plenty of games from PC I would love to see ported over to Xbox or PS3. If Blizzard did eventually get Diablo ported over, im 100% sure there would be a sizable increase in revenue for them. As many ppl fondly remember the first Diablo on Console. Personally it would be nice to see some of the PC title hit the console market as it seems the only thing current game developers want to put out is FPS.

13. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +29

Resources would be better allocated to developing Starcraft : Ghost...
    Le sigh.

14. jonjonjon

jonjonjon TS Rookie Posts: 18

I always wondered why blizzard didnt port diablo and starcraft to consoles. they would sell a tons of copies. the only game activision has on consoles is cod. every other activision game is trash. cod isnt selling as well as mw3 hence the non stop black ops commercials on tv. I dont remember many cod commercials prior to this.

15. Diablo III for console? Does it still need online connection? :D

16. "I always wondered why blizzard didnt port diablo and starcraft to consoles. they would sell a tons of copies. the only game activision has on consoles is cod. every other activision game is trash. cod isnt selling as well as mw3 hence the non stop black ops commercials on tv. I dont remember many cod commercials prior to this."

Considering they got 500 million the first day, and 1 billion in 15 days for BO2(compared to 400 million first day and 1 billion in 16 which MW3 got) I would not say that cod is doing poorly... perhaps we should judge the games success on profits and not on how many commercials there are....

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.