Diablo III successfully ported to a console, its fate still up in the air

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Blizzard has successfully ported Diablo III to a console version, although don’t expect to go pick up a copy for the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 anytime soon. The port remains an unofficial project at this point, according to Blizzard executive Rob Pardo, and it’s still unclear if the design team wants to bring the game to your living room.

In an interview with Polygon, Pardo said Blizzard is still exploring a console option. He said they have builds up and running on an unnamed console and they are hoping to get it far enough along to where it can become an official project. But as of writing, they aren’t quite ready to release any more information on it. He did note that it looked pretty cool, however.

diablo console diablo 3 diablo iii

"The whole team is essentially working on the next big Diablo thing," said Diablo III lead designer Jay Wilson in a recent interview with Polygon. "A lot of that stuff will show up next year at some point." We know that Blizzard is planning an expansion for Diablo III as well but again, there’s no timeline on when that might be released.

The idea of a console version of Diablo III shouldn’t be a surprise to most. The company posted a job listing more than two years ago looking for a lead designer to work on a console version of the game. When Blizzard officially announced the game at BlizzCon 2008, they said it would be available the Mac and PC “for now.”

After multiple delays, Diablo III was finally released in May. According to recent figures, the game has sold around 10 million copies – 3.5 million during the first 24 hours alone.

Permalink to story.

A console port seems like something Blizzard should have prepared before they released the game.

If they manage to get this properly set up for the PS3 and XBox, they will sell a bazillion of them.

Maybe they should focus on delivering what was promised. (e.g: PVP, bug fixing, etc...)

In any case, lots of speculation thrown up already within the game:
-2 new classes
-1 new act
-either rune words or new gems
-few new items

*SPOILER*
-probably involve Adria
-probably invovle missing angel of wisdom

They better make sure this console version is not a bad port or else it may be the dry season instead of the Blizzard they expect.

I'd rather see Torchlight 2 ported.
Diablo 3....lost the Diablo touch IMHO.

I'd rather see Torchlight 2 ported.
Diablo 3....lost the Diablo touch IMHO.

I agree, I played casually for a week or so (and perhaps I am just older so the fault lies with me) but it didn't capture my attention like Diablo 1 or 2, or hell even the Neverwinter Nights series. I have since uninstalled it.

Yes, Torchlight 2 is very cool. Diablo 3 is just a way to get your money.

Im surprised Blizzard didnt take into account that ppl would want to play on the home console. I know all the PC gamers understand about games and not having them ported. I dont actually own a gaming PC. There are plenty of games from PC I would love to see ported over to Xbox or PS3. If Blizzard did eventually get Diablo ported over, im 100% sure there would be a sizable increase in revenue for them. As many ppl fondly remember the first Diablo on Console. Personally it would be nice to see some of the PC title hit the console market as it seems the only thing current game developers want to put out is FPS.

I always wondered why blizzard didnt port diablo and starcraft to consoles. they would sell a tons of copies. the only game activision has on consoles is cod. every other activision game is trash. cod isnt selling as well as mw3 hence the non stop black ops commercials on tv. I dont remember many cod commercials prior to this.

"I always wondered why blizzard didnt port diablo and starcraft to consoles. they would sell a tons of copies. the only game activision has on consoles is cod. every other activision game is trash. cod isnt selling as well as mw3 hence the non stop black ops commercials on tv. I dont remember many cod commercials prior to this."

Considering they got 500 million the first day, and 1 billion in 15 days for BO2(compared to 400 million first day and 1 billion in 16 which MW3 got) I would not say that cod is doing poorly... perhaps we should judge the games success on profits and not on how many commercials there are....

Back