Diagnosis help - possible graphics card failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have a Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-FE31M) and recently have been using it with the TV alot using a s-video cable. A couple of months ago I had some problems getting it to switch back from TV to the LCD, a few times it took a couple of days to get it to switch back, but it always worked when plugged into TV.

A couple of times I was using the LCD as normal and the monitor would suddenly go blank (backlight was still on, but no images on screen), again, turning itself back to LCD a day or two later and again would be able to see screen if I plugged it into the TV.

Then about 4 days ago I was using the laptop as normal on the LCD when it went blank suddenly, I tried to restart and when I did the screen was still blank, the initial startup noise happened and the hard drive appeared to start, but then it just restarted itself again. Since then it just continually restarts itself, I can hear the initial startup noise every time, the backlight flickers on but no splash screen appears on the LCD. If I try an external monitor at startup, nothing appears on screen and also if I connect to TV, nothing appears, states no signal.

Has my graphics card failed or is it something else?

I have taken the screen apart but cannot find anything obviously wrong. The laptop is about 4 years old and I believe has a Nvidia Gforce card in it, but not entirely positive!

Any help greatly appreciated.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back