Diamond HD 3870 or Asus HD 3870? Memory clock difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphmex

Hello, i have an easy question i guess but i´m not that expert:

I see in newegg these two options, but i see a difference between both:

- Diamond : Memory Clock: 1125 MHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103050

- Asus: Memory Clock: 2250MHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121217

Is this a REAL DIFFERENCE or is it just two ways of writing the memory clock ?

Both cost almost the same, i don´t think the second one has twice the memory.

Thanks,

Raplhmex

both of the cards have the same amount of mem. but the Asus mem. is just running faster and will be a faster card.

The memory clock, along with the size of the memory bus, tells us the amount of memory bandwidth a graphics card has. The more memory bandwidth a card has, the better it can handle higher resolutions and high levels of AA and AF.
But this technology is changing very rapidly. DDR memory can read from/write to memory twice every clock cycle. So if your DDR memory clock is 500MHz, the effective clock speed is 1000MHz. You'll notice, for cards that use DDR memory, the card pages show both the actual clock speed and the effective speed of the memory. This goes up accordingly for DDR2, and now DDR3.

So, are they equivalent?

raybay said:
The memory clock, along with the size of the memory bus, tells us the amount of memory bandwidth a graphics card has. The more memory bandwidth a card has, the better it can handle higher resolutions and high levels of AA and AF.
But this technology is changing very rapidly. DDR memory can read from/write to memory twice every clock cycle. So if your DDR memory clock is 500MHz, the effective clock speed is 1000MHz. You'll notice, for cards that use DDR memory, the card pages show both the actual clock speed and the effective speed of the memory. This goes up accordingly for DDR2, and now DDR3.

Ups, i get a little more confused, are these two cards equivalent in memory clock?

Thanks for reply

Heh, If I am not mistaken they are, but wait for Raybay on that one.

IF that is the case, I'd go with the ASUS as it is coming with CoH: Opposing Fronts.

and $5 cheaper. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back