DICE preps E3 Battlefield 3 demo, mocks Call of Duty Elite

Matthew DeCarlo

DICE has confirmed that it's putting the final touches on a playable demo for E3. Conference-goers will be able to play a multiplayer map called "Operation Metro," which appears to offer well-rounded glimpse of Battlefield 3's gameplay. Players will experience both large and small-scale combat along with the ability to disable vehicles, mount weapons and more, according to DICE GM Karl Magnus Troedsson.

Although folks at home won't be able to experience the action firsthand, the developer noted that EA will stream its press conference on Monday. According to GameSpot's countdown page, the keynote seems to start around 12:30PM PDT. You can also expect to see new trailers, screenshots and in-depth press previews next week, so there's plenty to look forward to even if you can't make the trek to Los Angeles.

Additionally, Troedsson announced some features that won't be showcased at E3, including an "extensive co-op campaign" -- a first for the Battlefield franchise. He also took the opportunity to mock Activision's recently announced "Call of Duty Elite" premium subscription service. Apparently, DICE is whipping up a Battlefield 3 "Battlelog" that offers similar social tools, feeds and stats free of charge.

Due in November and developed with the company's new Frostbite 2.0 engine, Battlefield 3 is shaping up to be one of the, if not the biggest PC game of 2011. Based on previous announcements, we know that the title features four classes, more unlockables than Battlefield: Bad Company 2, meaningful character customizations, as well as improved level destruction, character animations and war sounds. 

Permalink to story.

Pretty sure Activision is winning the battle of COD vs Battlefield when it comes to the thing that matters most to companies and thats $$.

It is good to see DICE will be offering the features for free. Bungie already offers most of the features for free for Halo Reach and have been since Halo 2.

BrianUMR said:
Pretty sure Activision is winning the battle of COD vs Battlefield when it comes to the thing that matters most to companies and thats $$.

It is good to see DICE will be offering the features for free. Bungie already offers most of the features for free for Halo Reach and have been since Halo 2.

If the CoD devs cared about making a good game they would come up with something innovative instead of copy and pasting textures, models, effects and code from previous games into new ones.

DICE cares about making a great ****ing game. That's what makes a winner, not the money, but the passion.

xclusiveitalian said:
Dice won back when they released COD BC2, BF3 is going to destroy COD..GOODBYE COD go away and die!

I totally agree with you. The COD games are all the same and I think the gameplay sucks. BF games have better visuals, better game play, and are much more fun to play. BF3 FTW!

Princeton said:
BrianUMR said:

If the CoD devs cared about making a good game they would come up with something innovative instead of copy and pasting textures, models, effects and code from previous games into new ones.

DICE cares about making a great ****ing game. That's what makes a winner, not the money, but the passion.

Well yeah I wouldn't argue with that. However calling someone the winner when the number that matters to the company and the money people is the $$ is kind of odd.

Well yeah I wouldn't argue with that. However calling someone the winner when the number that matters to the company and the money people is the $$ is kind of odd.

Not everyone is money hungry. If they turn a profit then that's what really matters. I'd rather be earning less but knowing I made a great game then making more money but making a shitty rehashed game. I simply wouldn't be happy with the product I made if I made CoD games.

haha are you for real, 'DICE 1 - ACTIVISION 0'

haha its not like every other call of duty game has smashed every other battlefield game hands down in both ratings and sales figures, id more say its currently activison 7 - ea 0

when EA & DICE re-invent a whole genre like ACTIVISION & INFINITY WARD did with call of duty 4. COD4 was thee most groundbreaking game since doom, and it sparked so many carbon copy games. ea & dice will get no where trying to beat activison and iw at their own game, they need to invent something new and re ignite a genre that is un touched.

...and the interesting thing about that is, if you do that...the sales will follow. watch the sales of this game Crytek...while Crysis 2 is half price two months after release.

The sad part is, even if BF3 is the best game of 2011 (which it is), Activision's marketing machine will devour everything in its path. They'll use celebrities, exploit young kids w/ consoles, and integrate themselves to social sites - meaning if you dont own this game, you're not one of the cool kids in the block.

Isn't that the main reason why CoD is the most successful piece of sh!t game?

Battlefield 3 will 8=============D SLAP the s*** out of Mw3 i mean you would have to be the most deranged blind kid with the mind of a 2 year old to buy mw3 over Battlefield 3 Dice has in there hands one of the most best and ground breaking games of all time. activison is crapping them selves they even said that ''Mw3 will not be able to be as Graphicaly enhanced as Battlefield 3''. The score so far is EA:999.999.999.999 vs Activison:-1

MW3 will win by sales numbers, even though how much i loathe that game.

I prefer the teamplay in BC2 and the epic battles and destructive scenery to the shoebox levels of MW2. Rush maps are a brilliant idea in BC2. Can't wait for BF3 now.

haha its not like every other call of duty game has smashed every other battlefield game hands down in both ratings and sales figures, id more say its currently activison 7 - ea 0

when EA & DICE re-invent a whole genre like ACTIVISION & INFINITY WARD did with call of duty 4. COD4 was thee most groundbreaking game since doom
You really wasnt around in the BF2 days then.
BF was always bigger than CoD until CoD4 and BC1.

BF1942>CoD1
BF2>CoD1&2
BF2142 matched CoD3
CoD4 MW1>BFBC1
CoD4 MW2>BFBC2

and soon:
BF3>CoD4 MW3

My silly friend... dice has been making larger scale fps games based on physical environements since Battlefield 1942.

It was BECAUSE of IW dumb arcade gameplay fps that DICE even bothered to enter into the consol karket where younger & less knowledagble player are. So DICE intruduced 1943, Bad Company, BC2 & Heroes... all to get people aquainted with DICE and their superior PC gaming.

Lol... @ ur reponse

I know BF3 is better than any CoD because CoD needs to bride Steam to add CoD into your library list so you can play it for free, its kind of a forced demo... Piss off Activision!

I luff BF and PC gaming.

I'm not playing black ops, not even in this FREE weekend in steam... LOL.

I rather stay away from all those 12 y.o.'s.

I have high hopes. Maybe CoD will finally go away.

Maybe Aliens will take pity on us and nuke Activision HQ. Along with the devil.

I think Call of Duty is now more than just a game, it`s more of a must have fashion item or gadget, its like everyone has to have it because there friends got it.

Guest said:
I think Call of Duty is now more than just a game, it`s more of a must have fashion item or gadget, its like everyone has to have it because there friends got it.

Which is why it needs to get nuked, from orbit.

Battlefield has better graphics but their stories SUCK which is why a majority of people prefer the CoD franchise. Their controls are kind of glitchy too...

Back