Did a system restore and now my computer will not boot wtf?

Well my older computer was getting so slow that it was not even worth turning on. So I put in the Compaq system recovery CD to try and restore it to factory settings. Now when I turn it on it goes to the loading screen, but after it says its loaded windows XP it is just a blank screen with a flashing _ in the upper left corner... What the hell do I do now?

I really hope it is not my hard drive... I mean it copies files when I use system restore on it...

This is a post on another forum. I'm starting to think its not with the hard drive now. I tried booting windows XP via cd and got this message:

Code:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

If this is the first time you've seen this error stop screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer: Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer

Technical information: 
*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF7934524, 0XC0000034, 0X0000000, 0X0000000)

Of course the background is the blue screen of death... anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Everything is stock from Compaq except the video card which should not effect the installation of windows XP or keep it from running... Corrupt hard drive that needs replacing maybe?

Back