TechSpot

Did Apple doctor evidence in Samsung patent suit?

By Shawn Knight
Aug 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Apple may have provided inaccurate evidence in a German court regarding their patent case against rival tablet maker Samsung. Webwereld.nl discovered that one of the photos in the court document…

Read the whole story

2. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Dunno if it was intentional or not but looking at the actual side by side picturesSamsung is clearly "heavily inspired" by Apple.

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,692   +337

Oh boy. I know Julio says TS doesn't publish news stories against Apple for the traffic, but it seems very few TS readers are Apple product owners. Yet we continually get anti-apple stories.

Yes, this story is all over the web, but a lot of the other places include an update (an update as of a day ago, and this story is 'new' here) that says essentially this:

So yes, this does look bad if Apple did it intentionally, and I suspect they did. But they did provide real side by side evidence that the judge saw as well, and you can't fake side by side.

4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,195   +751

So Apple is upset that the Galaxy has a similar aspect ratio? And that ratio is 1.3, which is what the iPad 2 is, right?

I believe Mr. Looseleaf has a gripe too then because an 8.5" x 11" is a ratio of 1.294. That's even closer!

5. Panda218

Panda218 TS Enthusiast Posts: 102   +16

How else are you going to make a tablet? FFS Its a screen and a chassis they are all going to look alike in some way.

6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,692   +337

Did the iPod look like earlier mp3 players? I had a Samsung YP-3? and it looks nothing like an iPod. I'm not entirely convinced tablets have to look like the iPad.

Just for fun, think of a netbook with a 6 cell battery, it has that bulge caused by the extra cells. Now lets think about tablets, and how maybe they could use a bulge like that to be a handle for it, then you could have the screen hang off that bulge that is the handle.

I'm not saying that I just came up with a perfect example on the spot, but I just made one up. So, complaining that the only way to make a tablet is the way Apple did it is BS.

7. TS time would be best spent on a story much less vacuous.

8. I also believe I saw some of Mr Looseleaf's products wit rounded corners. Apple blatantly copied MR Looseleaf's design and aspect ratio.

Shame on you Apple!

9. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Apple check list for suing:
    Its rectangular... Check
    Its black ir white. Check
    It is rounded...... Check

For everything else there's competence....

10. I think you mean "uniquely different from the iPad"... The picture above is the "doctored" photo. This link provides more information.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwebwereld.nl%2Fnieuws%2F107599%2Fapple-levert-onjuist-bewijs-in-zaak-tegen-samsung.html

11. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

All the more reason to manipulate the data to make that conclusion even stronger.

Facts should not stand in the way of conviction.

12. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +330

Agreed, Most if not, all Tablets that are being released are pretty much the same looking but slightly different in specs, OS and weight but that about it.

Also I like your representation of a tablet, imagine how long you could use it before it died! :)

13. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

How to pick up girls, starring SNGX1275, Burty117, and their bulging tablet.
    Want to come up to my place and check out the bulge in my tablet? I have some etchings too, and a major hard drive...wink ;) ..wink ;)
    Well, if is was in the hands of a teen aged boy, about two minutes ....max....:rolleyes:

14. Things can look different--VERY DIFFERENT--but they don't do so by necessity. Televisions look alike, and monitors all look alike as well, as do desktops, and laptops, so why not tablets?. Sometimes there is innovation, other times there is reproduction with slight improvement of functionality, and often times there is failed attempt at reproduction with improved functionality.

The legal inquiry here is, was there infringement of corporate right? I am not so sure. I know tablets CAN look different; Hell, make one triangular and collapsible for all I care. Either way they do not HAVE to be anything other than what works for the general populace.

Does Apple own the rights to rectangular prisms? Spheres? Ovals? Squares? Colors? Numbers? If not, they should probably stop whining and make something better than Samsung, then follow up with superior marketing.

15. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TS Maniac Posts: 388

But then again... pretty much every 2011 Tablet out now has a similar look in terms of hardware to an iPad anyway, if we're talking about comparing to an iPad.

Why stop there? you might as well take out the other companies as well, Motorola's Xoom is open for attack, Blackberry's Playbook... HP's Touchpad...

Shame on you Apple, the sky is the limit! Sue more! (sarcasm)

16. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Hahaha, captain what would I do without your wittiness in the comments? ;)

17. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 422   +42

Yep. They copied Apple. Like Ford copied the first Marcus car.

18. Apple is just scared someone else can sell a product as good or better at a cheaper price and not have to get get locked into the Apple Society.

19. I really hope Samsung wins as needless lawsuits such as these are doing nothing but hindering innovation and competition in the market.

20. Well spoken. I most definitely agree.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.