Did I fry my CPU?

E Machines W3400 AMD Athalon 64Bit Processor ATI Graphics card.
I first troubleshooted the long continuous beeps by taking out everything includinging the cmos battery for it to reset. Which it did just fine. I noticed that the had drive was failing so I ran Hiren's Boot CD to diagnose it. Upon going through
this I hard and notice the fan was making noise. It and the heat sink was filthy with tar and dust. The previous owner was a heavy smoker. I removed the fan and tried with compressed air and to brush some off of the heat sink. That didn't work. So I thought to thoroughly clean it was to take it off of the CPU and clean the vanes. On doing so the CPU managed to come with it. I replaced the CPU correctly or so I thought, lining up the arrows and notch in the pins. I replaced the heatsink and fan,WITHOUT pasting it. I got everything squared away and when I turned on the computer it didn't start up. The fans were running full blast without any video, which I had before.
To make a long to short, did I just fry the CPU? Or is there something else I've over looked. I didn't have it on more than 20 secs total. 10 seconds at first, then when I tried to make sure the CPU was seated properly. I know this is an old computer but, it has sentimental
value to the pesron that gave it to me. I was going to give it back after I had fixed it. (Her father owned and has since passed) Now I believe I've fragged it. What are my options at this point? Salvage parts? Paperweight? Thanks ahead
for the help.

Hi, next time I'd make sure to properly apply some sort of thermal paste first.
But anyway, if you can, check the CPU pins to make sure they are not bent. That's about the only thing I can think of.
Check all the connections you might have bumped into, and then check all the rest too.

I agree with hk. I've had CPU come out of socket before while trying to remove the heatsink and that never damaged the CPU. The pins however are very easy to bend.

You can easily operate a computer without thermal paste, it'll just run cooler with the thermal paste in place. Your computer may not be broken, I'd redo the heat sink and try again.

You can easily operate a computer without thermal paste, it'll just run cooler with the thermal paste in place. Your computer may not be broken, I'd redo the heat sink and try again.
That's true especially as this isn't a hot processor anyway. But I'd still stand by my original statement that I'd make sure to properly apply thermal paste.

Yeh, I don't think you fried it. Couple reasons for that - 1, it should be fine without paste, sure it won't run cool, but it should be OK, especially for as little time as you had it on. 2, CPUs have had thermal overtemp protection for many years now - gone are the days where you can fry one in seconds.

I'd remove it, reinstall, apply some paste, attach the heatsink, and reset the CMOS. Then try to power it on.

Your computer may not be broken, I'd redo the heat sink and try again.
siteduzero.gif

Back