TechSpot

Did I fry my motherboard?

By XGX8813
Nov 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. So a few days ago.. I did the little stupid thing of taking everything out of my pc cabinet and taking it to another place and use it. The most stupid thing I did was place the motherboard carelessly on top of another computer's cabinet. I know. *******.. It worked fine until about an hour when I heard a little crackling noise an couldn't see anything, but could smell the burning smell of electronic components. I guess the metal cabinet shorted something..

    It immediately turned off. When I shorted the power pins to get it started again, there was no response. So I pulled out the power cord and started it back again but this time, the green light on the ,motherboard was ON, the keyboard lights BLINKED, the mouse's LED under it is ON, the fans on the heat sink of the proccessor and all the other fans runs fine, also the fan on the graphics card spins smoothly.

    Except, no beep. no video, nothing. The system doesn't POST. I'm able to turn the system off by holding down the power button. But everytime I try to start it, everything, including my hard disk, fans and lights work fine except there's no video or beeps. No POST.


    Tried a few things like..
    1. REMOVED RAM AND TRIED BOOTING.
    Nothing happens. Same thing. The three beeps that tell you no memory also absent. It's just silent. No beeps. No video.

    2. REMOVED GRAPHICS CARD AND STARTED.
    Same situation. No video, no beep.

    3. RESETTED BIOS WITH JUMPER.
    No Luck...

    4. REMOVED CMOS BATTERY AND REPLACED AFTER 5 HOURS.
    Nope..

    5. TRIED A WORKING POWER SUPPLY FROM A DIFFERENT PC.
    Same deal..


    Here are some things that confuse me:
    I removed the graphics card and put it in a different system. It works just fine. Confirmed my graphics card is just fine. Tried my SMPS on a different PC, that system works fine too. Tried my hard disk as a slave. Reads and writes perfectly. Tried my DVD drive on another pc, all good.

    Now as a last try, I put my RAM in a working pc. Pressed the power button, and THE SAME THING STARTED HAPPENING WITH THIS SYSTEM. Doesn't POST. And when I removed my RAM and put the older one in, this motherboard also remained the same. STILL NO POST. This board is now facing the same problem as my board.

    What do you think? Did my RAM actually kill the boards? Is that actually possible? The thing that puzzles me is there was no sounds, crackles or smoke or smell from the other motherboard. It just stopped working when I tried my RAM.

    Here's my config:
    Intel DG41RQ Motherboard...
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 64Bit Architecture with 3 MB Cache @ 2.93Ghz...
    Transcend 2GB DDR2 RAM x2 (Total 4 GB of RAM-2x2)...
    Seagate 500 GB SATA hard disk...
    Sony SATA DVD writer...
    Frontech JIL-2414G 450W SMPS...
    nVidia 9600GT 1GB Graphics card...

    So what do you think is happening here? Is anything fried? Is it fixable??

    I'm not new to this. I've built lots of systems from scratch including my own. Placing it on a metal surface while under power was stupid of me, I know..

    Thanks for your help.. Oh and is mine a stable build?
     
  2. Tmagic650

    Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 21,074   +169

    Yes, I believe you trashed the motherboard. Please get out of the habit of running motherboards flat on a metal surface
     


Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...


Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.