Did the 8 step to clean antivirus pro 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky44

Downloaded Antivirus Pro 2009 by accident. Symantec dectected bratsk.exe (I assume they're related?).

First I tried a system restore, and it wouldn't let me use any of my previous restore points.

I found this site and went through your 8 step process (Thanks! Much easier than the 12 step process!). I'm attaching my log files. Please look through these and let me know how I did.

Only symptom I seem to have now is a svchost.exe that's using 99% of my CPU in Task Manager. All the other bad stuff seems to be gone.

Thanks in advance!

Two other concerns:

1) When I go to shut down my computer, There is now a little shield that looks like the MS Security Center logo on top of the "Turn Off" button, and a script that says to click "turn off" to install important updates and turn off my computer.

I don't recall ever seeing that before--is this legit, or is it a remnant of Antivirus Pro, which counterfeited the MS Security center logo?

2) When I look for the real Security Center, it's not in my control panel anymore. There's a windows firewall logo, but the whole Security Center icon is missing. Did Antivirus Pro eliminate it? How do I get it back?

If it matters, I'm running Windows XP Home Edition.

Welcome to TS.

I will defer on the issues raised in message #2 in the near term.

Your protections & MBAM / SAS have done a good job of knocking this down.

Next MBAM & SAS will be re-run until the logs report 0 infections or no further progress is made. Restart the computer if logs indicates 'reboot'. Use the following sequence.

Begin with MBAM. At this time MBAM scan quick mode.
Next scan with SAS

Post new logs showing errors + HJT log. Please report progress & restate the affer effects that persist.

MBAM complete scan is used to remove files/folders remaining from the detected infections.

P.S.
If your 1st post was not answered, use the 'edit' to amend the post or add more content. I use "0 replies" to detect an unanswered post. Periodically I scan for thread answered by the starter of the thread. Today was that one day.

rf6647:

Thanks for the reply, and the tip on edit versus reply to my own post.

It'll be this evening at the earliest, before I can run it, and I won't get home before 10 pm Alaska time which is EST+4, so you won't see my updated logs before tomorrow, at the earliest.

Thanks also for the welcome. From what I can tell, this is a good board, with helpful experts who are gentle with the ignorant noobs. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back