TechSpot

Difference between dvi and hd?

By kemp101
Sep 11, 2008
  1. Just bought a new XPS 420 quad core pc with ATI Radeon HD 3870 x2 graphics card.at the moment the card is connected to the monitor via the dvi cable.(white dvi from the card to dvi into the monitor)With the card i received an ATI adaptor with female HDMI and male dvi.how do i utilize this adaptor to get to HDMI quality as i am very confused?Thank you for your help and sorry for my ignorance.

2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,843   +927

DVI and HDMI Video Quality should be about equal. The adapter would be used to drive a flat panel TV from the computer's video card. Flat screen TV are not equipped with DVI only HDMI inputs. Most flat screens also include a "PC" input which is the standard analog "VGA" also known as "D-Sub".

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,640   +322

HDMI is more of a home theater type thing that has been given adapters and more recently cards that will output it. DVI is going to give you exactly the same quality, its a digital signal just like HDMI. HDMI traditionally carries audio as well, DVI does not. Using any adapter that takes you from DVI to HDMI cannot increase your quality, and obviously will not just create audio for you.

So continue to use DVI. Use that adapter if you want to connect it to a TV, but then you will also need to get audio to your TV, as the HDMI isn't going to carry it off that DVI converter.

4. kemp101

kemp101 TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for the replies.So I will just continue to use the DVI cable and should be the same quality as HDMI? Crysis coming today,so im guessing it will run fine.
    thank you for clearing that up.so in conclusion,i dont need that apaptor unless in connecting to a hd tv with a hdmi input?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.