DigiNotar declares bankruptcy after major security breach

By Jos
Sep 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The disgraced Dutch certificate authority DigiNotar, recently at the center of a hacking scandal, has declared itself bankrupt. The firm first realized it had been compromised July 19 but failed…

Read the whole story
  2. when is some government going to have the balls to finally come out and point the finger at China, instead of just playing silly bugger politics and walking around it by claiming that ' it appears that these attacks are out of China.." you bloody well know they are, say it.. and do something about it.
  3. war59312

war59312 TechSpot Member Posts: 67

4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,470   +299

You do realise that this particular attck came from Iran right? By supposedly one guy? do you ever click on the links in the article?
  5. Sounds about right...You're in the business of information security and your own security was easily breached and then on top of that you chose to not address the issue publicly....fail.

What do you do with turds like this comodohacker guy?
  6. Before a recent trip to my home country in September 2011 for a shirt casual family and friends visit I made a simple search on the BBC.co.uk site for Iran and stumbled on the article “Fake DigiNotar web certificate risk to Iranians” see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14789763.

I went through the article and understood that I should perhaps be a bit cautious reading mail and using internet while being in Iran, since the article mentioned that hundreds of bogus SSL certificates were generated from the Netherlands-based DigiNotar to be used for authentication purposes.The article also mentioned that the DigiNotar was owned by US firm Vasco Data Security.

While being in Iran I noticed that a friend of mine uses also hardware devices as we do in UK to enter into his internet banking site of Bank Melli Iran (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Melli_Iran) .

When I asked if I could have a look at the hardware device I was amused to find out that the device was manufactured by Vasco Data Security as well....

[​IMG]

Now the one million dollar question is, how secure are these devices after part of manufacturing company has been hacked and if hackers also have gained access to bank accounts of the banking customers in Iran who use Bank Melli Iran online banking site?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.