Digital Storm intros sub-zero "Cryo-TEC" cooling system

By Matthew
Aug 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Digital Storm has begun offering machines with a new liquid cooling solution that's capable of pushing your processor's operating temperature below the freezing point. The new Cryo-TEC cooling system is…

Read the whole story
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

That's crazy - both the pricing and the temps. Would be interesting to see framerate and temp specs on one of the more demanding games at top settings over a couple of hours of hard-core gaming.
  3. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

I would like to know what the cost is for the cooler ????

Looked at web site could not find prices for the cooler only??
  4. Cota

Cota TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

"thick layer of frost"

But doctor, wouldn't that cause a parabolic destabilization of the fission singularity? and what about that frost getting a dense condensation point causing the superficial tension of H2O to give up due to gravity?
  5. $3900 for the cheap one??? Is that pecos???
  6. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

That's what those little packets of silica that are included with everything are for. Just place a layer on the bottom of your case. For extra aesthetic points you can sculpt it like a Zen garden.
  7. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

i'd be interested in the cooler as well... wonder how much they cost.
  8. howzz1854

howzz1854 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 585   +79

lets face it... people who are interested in that kind of cooling power are mostly enthusiasts who already build their own rigs.
  9. SammyJames

SammyJames TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 168

No. That is, my friend, criminal. And nuts.
  10. SammyJames

Let's face it -- people who are interested in that kind of cooling are WEALTHY. VERY wealthy. And are probably in-the-field paramilitary "enthusiasts" who want, enthusiastically, to be able to run their hexacore tracking systems in the desert -- like, say, in Iraq.

No, really!
  11. SammyJames

Don't get me wrong -- I would LOVE this cooler. It would be dead-silent, and would I'm sure let me run my music production applications without a hiccup. I just can't justify even saving up money for this.

There are some great coolers that are under $50. And if you have a clue about bearing types for fans and how to properly cable, then you can have an ultra-quiet system with a fanless GPU, fanless power supply,, ultra-quiet CPU heat-sink cooler, and lots of airflow to eliminate heat and noise.

12. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

4000.00 bucks for just the cooler
    no way...
  13. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 342   +20

My corsair H60 might be a bit cooler than that setup.

If you take my comment serious, please see a therapist.
  14. It was so amazingly cool until I got to the actual price, it frozen me.
  15. If anyone were to get this I would also suggest placing clay around the CPU, I assume that water will have a chance of getting on your motherboard.

I've experimented with using Peltier coolers, which is what I assume they use here. You can get them super cheap on ebay.

Using 2 Peltier cooler plates I was able to achieve negative temps as well... Albeit I had to use 2 huge heatsinks glued together and a server fan at full speed to keep the Peltier's cool enough to keep operating efficiently.

If you can waterproof around the cpu and afford water cooling I don't see why you'd want to spend money on this thing, when you can just buy Peltier's on Ebay for cheap ;)
  16. This oil cooling one is better, and cheaper :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxJeojnbS6I&feature=player_embedded
  17. Even though the prices are outrageous at first glance, after a little customization on their site, you can get it to be a littler reasonable.

First off, I cut the processor to a 960 (Should be fast enough for any enthusiast, especially since you don't have to worry about overheating with overclocking), downgraded the Video Cards to crossfire 6950 (Not the best, two 6970's or GTX 570's bring reasonable prices too) and added a Blu ray burner.

Here's the configuration:

Case - Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Cryo-TEC Edition

Processor - Intel Core i7 960 3.2GHz (Quad Core) (Downgrade)

Motherboard - ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)

RAM - 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)

Power Supply - 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)

Hard Drive 1 - 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)

Hard Drive 2 - 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition)

Optical Drive 1 - Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112) (Upgrade)

Optical Drive 2 - DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)

Internet Access - High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

GPU - 2x CrossFire Dual (ATI Radeon HD 6950 2GB) (Downgrade)

Soundcard - Integrated Motherboard Audio

Cooling - Digital Storm Cryo-TEC CPU Only System

OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

It comes down to $5,061, processor upgrade brings it to $5,354, $5,404, for the 970 and 980 respectively. GPU upgrade is $5,789 for two 6970's (960 processor) and about the same price for two 570's EVGA overclocked.

So yea, not a wonderfull price, but definitely justifiable, I'd rather just build a PC personally :p
  18. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 342   +20

I'm curious though, what does a person do with this kind of system in which you need an overclocked 990X with that type of cooler? Who's that insane 1 or 2 people that will actually buy this? Whoooooooooooooo??????
  19. wow what a holdup. no thank you, ill let my cpu burn out
  20. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

now if only i could justify to my boss :)
  21. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,318   +117

So, by electric, do they mean a TEC?
    Is it using water for sure?
  22. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Those prices are definitely chilling.
  23. Er...forget what I said about the $5000 mark, you can eliminate overclocking and that brings down another $250.

(Guest at August 25, 7:26PM)
  24. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,534   +92

Just about four thousand for the cheapest model. The cooling and overclocking isn't worth about 2000+!!!! Madness (no it isn't Sparta before someone says it).
  25. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 153   +22

I can understand the need for adequate cooling but this seems silly

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.