Digits could replace usernames, passwords with mobile phone numbers

By Shawn Knight
Oct 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Twitter's first developer conference in four years, Flight, is in full swing and we're already seeing some announcements out of San Francisco. Perhaps one of the most interesting is Digits, Twitter's plan to replace the password with a user's mobile...

Read more
  2. Jamesbrah

Jamesbrah TS Enthusiast Posts: 59   +11

And if your phone is stolen? Sure there's a passcode.. but this makes me uneasy. I'd rather multiple passwords.
  3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +464

At least in Chile we own our number, yes the phone could get stolen but I'd go to the phone company, report it stolen block the sim along the phone and have them give me my number on a new sim.

Even in the case of pre-paid phones, when we activate those have to give out information about the owner of the line, who could in an event of theft recover the number.
  4. I'll stick with LastPass.
  5. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +464

Well I didn't actually reply the topic, I would definitely prefer the phone option, I wouldn't have to memorize anything, would leave home computer/laptop as always logged on, and in case I need to log in in a public environment just get a one time use password from my phone and wouldn't care if someone else gets to read it.

It actually sounds pretty neat.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,335   +1,937

It's taken me 20 years to get used the system we have in place and now they want to change it? OK then, give me another 20 years.