Dim screen after installing XFX HD 5770

moonfruit

Hi

I have just installed a HD5770 and when I start windows, after the accounts screen the screen dims slightly (not loads but enough to notice the dark screen). It does this on every account. I have tried Driver Cleaner Pro and reinstalled the drivers. Also when I power up, the windows loading screen jumps once (as if refreshing) and also when logging off the screen goes blank for a second before returning to the accounts screen.

I tried putting my old card back in (a HD4650) and everything goes back to normal.

Cant figure it out, the only thing I think it could be is the minimum PSU recommended is a 450watt, mine is a 400watt, but it is a corsair and I have read that this card will run with this psu. I dont have loads of drives and using a power calculator I am only using about 333watts.

Hope you can help before I send this card back and revert to my old HD4650

Cheers.

Cant figure it out, the only thing I think it could be is the minimum PSU recommended is a 450watt, mine is a 400watt.

BINGO..........I think you've answered your own question!

I'd recommend at least a decent 500 watt, preferably a nice 600 watt!

I disagree, not only is that power supply string enough, but when the card is not under heavy load, it won't even need a power supply capable of providing it with enough power.

I would poke around the CCC.

Sorted it!! Turns out it wasnt a power issue, as I thought (no random crashes, unstable system, screen glitches), the install had screwed up my monitor calibration, I recalibrated and everything seems to be ok....touch wood. Weird that when I put the old card in, everything worked fine without calibration.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Back