"Ding" at shut down/Searching from IE address bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I shut down I always get the "Windows XP Ding" (default beep) just before the shutdown music. I've had this happen on a few previous installs and Im not sure what it means or how to get rid of it. This is a new install of XP pro with all updates from "Windows Update" on a SATA RAID 0 array. Im not exactly sure when it started doing this but it was before I finished all the windows updates and before I installed any other programs.

Also, Im not sure if this is a problem or if it just never happened to me before. I have always just searched from the address bar in IE. For example, if I was looking for the WinZip website, I would just type "winzip" in the address bar and a bunch of sites would come up and I would click on the one that looked like what I was looking for. I've noticed recently that if there is a folder or document or .exe or shortcut on my desktop with the same name, it will open it or execute it rather than search the web for it. Not all that terrible, just annoying when Im looking for information on DesertCombat and it launches the game instead of searching the web.

My system:
mb - Asus p4p800e deluxe
cpu - P4 2.8 (oc'd to 3.03 using 10% bios setting)
RAM - 2 512 Kingston DDR PC 3200
Video - Radeon X800 Pro
HDD - 2 Seagate 80G (SATA Promise RAID 0 Array)
- 1 Western Digital 80G (EIDE)
LAN - onboard Marvel
Antec case and ps
5 40mm fans (2 in ps, 1 in HDD bay, 2 in back)

I should add, I get the same ding at shut down when I boot from the WD HDD.

The ding probably isn't anything that you should worry about, but ya never know. It is a part of your current windows sound scheme. The sound is assinged to an event.
Perhaps this is the event....?
gyityoi9zl.gif

If say the "Critical Stop" event is making that sound, then perhaps some program is critically being stopped due to windows killing the process when you shutdown.

As for your second question....not sure as to a fix to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back