DirectX 10 downgrade possible?

sikandro

Hey, I've tried googling this to no avail because everyone that wants to downgrade from directx10 seems to be using vista. I'm using XP and I want to downgrade to directx9 because I can't play any of my games anymore. Is there any way that this is possible? I've looked at uninstalling it but there's nothing for directx10 on XP computers :S

Cheers

(without paying $20 for another program xd)

some games supports higher DirectX version, but not all requires the highest version as a minimum. Games like Far Cry 2 have two options: Direct X 9 and 10. If you're using VIsta and 7 you can choose the DX10 for better graphics. If you're using XP you can only use the DX9. And of course, the graphic card must support the DX version too.

Windows XP only supports up to DirectX 9. that means, games such as Just Cause 2, which only runs at minimum of DirectX 10 will not run on XP. That also means, Just Cause 2 will not run on graphic card that does not have DX10.

I want to downgrade to directx9 because I can't play any of my games anymore.

what nismo said, but what do you mean you cant play any of your games anymore? you have DX9 games that worked previously on your XP, that will no longer run?
i fthat is the case, you have other issues.

I've tried googling this to no avail because everyone that wants to downgrade from directx10 seems to be using vista.

That does not make sense. having DX10, or DX11 just means that you can run games at that version or lower. ( as long as your card supports it)

Don't know if this helps, but you can determine your DirectX version by running the DirectX Diagnostic Tool (Dxdiag.exe). You can run it by clicking Start --> Run and then typing dxdiag in the command line. Your version of DirectX is list under the first tab towards the bottom ... see attached.

Attachments

• DirectX.jpg
    DirectX.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 2
No I'm using Directx 10 as I mentioned in the OP, I already know that much. But apparently I'm not supposed to be able to on XP which I think is causing the problems.

As far as specifics, I booted up Morrowind and suddenly Real-time Shadows didn't work anymore and it bugged the game out so now I have to play it without shadows. Not a huge deal obviously but other games have been having slight problems as well.

Have you tried using the System Restore feature to roll back to a point before the DirectX 10 install?

No I'm using Directx 10 as I mentioned in the OP, I already know that much. But apparently I'm not supposed to be able to on XP which I think is causing the problems

You are not using DX 10 on XP. There was a rather organized effort a few years ago to write a DX10 program for XP called "the Alky project" but it failed miserably. DX10 may be showing up on your software in places, but unless you downloaded this ( it didn't work) you are not running DX 10 on XP.

img651.imageshack.us/img651/1374

/dx10.png

I haven't tried system restore, no. I've tried using system restore for other things in the past though and it didn't work, I forget why exactly since it's been some time but I'm pretty sure I can't system restore on this PC. I didn't actually buy the computer myself, it's second hand given to me and a bagillion years old.

img651.imageshack.us/img651/1374

/dx10.png

That's what I was talking about sikandro, the incorrect DX versions show up in DX Diag all the time. A lot of people had DX11 show up in Vista before it was there. I am not trying to be a jerk, just telling you so you can get to what the real problem is. DX10 will not work in XP

I've seen downloads for DirectX 10 on Windows XP but not from Microsoft (AFIK), wasn't absolutely sure if it could be force installed or not. As far as I know the last officially supported version of DirectX on Windows XP was version 9.0c, but I've been off XP for quite a while so not really up to date on any late breaking developments. Good luck sorting out your problem.

This is where I downloaded it:

techmixer.com/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp/

That is exactly the DX10 project i was talking about the "Alky project" i referenced in my prior post.
You need to get that thing out of there. it messes up your machine. What you downloaded was a project by a 19 year old software engineer named Cody Brocious. The project was an abysmal failure. no wonder your machine isn't working right. It wasn't actually DX10 either, it was a patch job 'fake DX10'. The package was also known for having copious amounts of viruses and malware.
well I hope you can get it out of there and get your machine running properly again. let us know how you get on.

im buying a new computer anyway lol

oh well

hmm btw, how gauranteed is it that viruses will transfer to any usb device or portable hard drive i hook up to my comp? because i'm going to need to transfer files somehow...

Back