DirectX 10 for Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarulezz

I'm not sure where to post this topic but i think Software is a right section.
Is there a Directx 10 for Windows XP and can you download it?
If you can where from?
Do you have to pay for it?
Because the microsoft website says everything about Vista which I think isn't as good as XP.

DirectX 10 is technically a Vista only distribution. It comes installed with Vista.

you can get it for windows XP right now.
but a word of warning i have it and am trying desperately to get rid of it, because some of my applications aren't working because of it.
google directx 10 for XP

If I remember right there is a download for dx10 for xp but it doesnt work well. I wouldnt recommend it.

There has been a Dx 10 for xp on the net for a while called 'the alky project'. word has it that most downloads are virus ridden, and that it is very unstable.

do you think they are gonna make one for XP as well??

This question deserved more contemplation. DX10 was "conceived" as a selling point for the Vista OS. Therefore it makes no sense whatsoever that M$ would ever consider "retrofitting" it to XP. They can't get enough people to adopt Vista as it is, let alone doling out DX10 to adoring XP fans.

The subtext behind, "they can't get enough people to adopt Vista as it is", is they aren't anywhere near as happy as they want be, because they can't pry anywhere near as many wallets out of people's pockets as they fantasized about, or felt they were entitled to, for that matter.

I tried "the alky project" as a substitute to play halo2 on, didn't work. Did not do anything for that matter, i ended up simply deleting the files out of my windows folder because halo 2 didn't work.

why exactly do you wan't DX 10 for xp? There isn't too much difference graphicly, and the efforts are probably not worth the result.

Note i tried a highly beta version, when halo2 on windows xp was still somewhat of a mystery.

there is some difference:
437944396_b2f73a2996.jpg

15.jpg

but after these posts i think its not worth it to get it for XP.
maybe when i get Vista i will get Directx10. :)

It seems, (at least partially), you could just pump up the contrast and color saturation on the the DX9 example, to come up with a closer approximation of DX10?

I would be interested in the test conditions of the examples you posted.

It looks as though each pair is two different original photos, not the same photo processed by two different systems.

There is a rather simple registry hack bieng reported for Crysis by several reputable sites (if you consider Toms for example to be reputable).that will give DX10 effects in XP. I wonder if there are similar hacks for other games. heres one site reporting it.
http://www.technospot.net/blogs/how-to-configure-very-high-settings-crysis-dx9-windows-xp/
I would stay away from things like the 'Alky project' it has the effectivness,and reliability of a pre-pre-alpha.

I am curious about the pics you posted however, i have not seen that dramatic a difference in my experience with Dx9 vs Dx10

:haha: right Captain!, it made me think of your post the other day about M$ using DX10 as a selling point for vista, I know the top pics were released by M$ and go from mostly sunny to incoming thunderstorms....kinda looks like the dreadful weather ya get in Filadelphia :D. I wonder if M$ PS'ed thier own photos.

i got these pics from google...
anyway thanks for the crysis hack, im getting it soon and want to enjoy the most :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back