DirectX driver problem

Hello!
I have a problem with DirectX. I've seen other posts on this exact topic, but I don't understand them. Could somebody please explain this to me in layman's terms?

I have Sims 2 and Spore. Both pop up error messages saying "Could not create the Graphics Device. DirectX is not avaliable. [1002]" (Spore) and "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate." (Sims 2)

I have gone to the website, and it tells me I have the latest version. I'm pretty sure I have the latest driver, but I'm not sure. Will someone please help me?

These messages typically mean your graphics solution is not supported by the game and, therefore, cannot run it. If you have a laptop, you are likely out of luck. If you have a desktop, you might be able to install a supported graphics card.

Thank you!

Where might I find such a card? Is there a website to go to or would I have to buy something?

I went to Run -> Dxdiag and it showed me a bunch of names and numbers that I don't understand, but probably help.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
System Manufacturer: IBM
System Model: 679025U
BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 for IBM NetVista.
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 5333MB used, 714MB avaliable
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

If I go to Drivers in the same program, it says
Main Driver: vga.dll
Version: 5.01.2600.0000 (English)
Date: 8/21/2008 04:00:00
WHQL Logo'd: No
Mini VDD: vga.sys
Vdd: n/a
DDI Version: unknown

Hope these help.

Back