TechSpot

DirectX driver problem

1. Hello!
    I have a problem with DirectX. I've seen other posts on this exact topic, but I don't understand them. Could somebody please explain this to me in layman's terms?

I have Sims 2 and Spore. Both pop up error messages saying "Could not create the Graphics Device. DirectX is not avaliable. [1002]" (Spore) and "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate." (Sims 2)

I have gone to the website, and it tells me I have the latest version. I'm pretty sure I have the latest driver, but I'm not sure. Will someone please help me?

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

These messages typically mean your graphics solution is not supported by the game and, therefore, cannot run it. If you have a laptop, you are likely out of luck. If you have a desktop, you might be able to install a supported graphics card.

3. 1withQuestions

1withQuestions TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you!

Where might I find such a card? Is there a website to go to or would I have to buy something?

I went to Run -> Dxdiag and it showed me a bunch of names and numbers that I don't understand, but probably help.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
    System Manufacturer: IBM
    System Model: 679025U
    BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 for IBM NetVista.
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
    Memory: 510MB RAM
    Page File: 5333MB used, 714MB avaliable
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

If I go to Drivers in the same program, it says
    Main Driver: vga.dll
    Version: 5.01.2600.0000 (English)
    Date: 8/21/2008 04:00:00
    WHQL Logo'd: No
    Mini VDD: vga.sys
    Vdd: n/a
    DDI Version: unknown

Hope these help.

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

5. WinXPert