Disable "check for updates" in Windows 7

By scr1b3
Apr 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I would like to know if its possible to disable USERS the ability to check for updates in Windows 7. I've tried creating the reg key "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess" in HKLM \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ WindowsUpdate but that didnt work.

I also enable "remove links and access to Windows Update' on GPO uner USER CONFIGURATION \ ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES \ START MENU AND TASKBAR . This does the job but it also disable any local ADMINISTRATOR from checking for updates.
  2. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TechSpot Booster Posts: 808   +51

I don't know if this will work for you, or is a admin-only feature (I'm have only 1 account - the admin account - which I use) but worth a try:
    Go to Control Panel > Windows Update > Change Settings > Uncheck "Allow all users to install updates" > OK.
    Now press Windows key+R, -> type in "services.msc" without the quotes, -> press enter -> scroll down to "Windows Updates" -> double-click to open -> go to the "Log on" tab -> choose the account you want it to use.
    If you choose the admin account, only the admin will be able to access the updates.
    Good luck.
  3. scr1b3

scr1b3 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 30

I tried to change to local administrator however the service did not start automatically. I tried starting the service manually and received this error " Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running the same process". I proceeded to make the same change on Background Intelligence Transfer service and they both have the same error. What other process/services is require for Windows Update that I need to make the same change to?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.